Thread: Water Problems

Thanks

Default Water Problems

My Exo Terra tank is great and my crested gecko, Mocha, loves it! (12x12x18) I even have a self timed water misting system that sprays the tank every 8 hours to keep humidity up (it's not the highest humidity around here) My problem is that the tank is filling with water underneath the substrate (Zoo Med Repti-Bark), and then leaking through the bottom corner of the tank all over my hardwood floor while I'm away from home! I have put a bucket under the tank to catch the leak, but it doesn't look nice, and I would rather not have to deal with constantly changing the bucket. I am wondering if there is a way to prevent such a fill up of water in the tank? It seems that the constant misting is necessary, so I don't think less misting is the answer to this problem. But I could be wrong. I could possibly fix the leak in the tank, but I don't really know what to use (forgive me, I don't have vast knowledge with such things) Any suggestions or comments are great! (Also sorry if this question seems dumb, just looking for other people's insight and opinions)

Thanks

I'm not sure if you've already fixed your problem, but if not, you can seal it with aquarium silicone. It's pretty cheap at most hardware and fish stores. You will have to put your gecko in another enclosure temporarily though because of the fumes. It usually takes about 48-72 hours to cure completely. I would also add a drainage layer of something like hydroton so that your substrate doesn't start to break down and mold/mildew in the standing water. You can get it online or at most pet stores. The stuff from the pet store is pretty expensive though. My local indoor gardening center had it for about 1/3 of the price that I found it anywhere else.