Thread: baby Brazilian rainbow boa enclosure size

Thanks

Default baby Brazilian rainbow boa enclosure size

I'm hoping to get a baby BRB at the San Diego reptile super show in July and I'm wondering if a 50L Really Useful Box is too big, even with lots of cover? I haven't seen what they look like in person, I'm going off of images online. I would like to not have to change enclosures for a year or more if that's possible.

If a 50L is too big, what's the biggest size I should consider for a baby?
    My Little Gargoyle on YouTube - Instagram
    2.1.0 CATS | Ramses, Hades, Iris
    0.0.1 GARGOYLE | Ligeia or Bradbury
    1.0.0 BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA | IncÍndio

Thanks

Well I ended up getting a 41 qt IRIS weathertight storage box and I'm super impressed with it. Also I might be getting my little dude NEXT WEEK instead of in July! I've been communicating with Cliff from Living Gems Reptiles--didn't contact him with the intent to buy, but he just happened to have babies and I just happened to say "okay lemme see!!" He's really awesome to work with, I feel pretty confident that I will have a great setup for my baby by the time he gets here.

I have pics of the baby and the IRIS tub which I'll post later, I see y'all viewing this post so hopefully you'll enjoy the pics.

Funny thing--I had it stuck in my head to only consider males, because I'm so scared of dealing with non-breeding females becoming eggbound...and then I keep remembering that BRBs give live birth.
    Last edited by MyPrettyGargoyle; 05-10-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: I'm confused about the rule about talking about breeders lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrettyGargoyle For This Useful Post:

TAD (05-09-2017)

Thanks

My little dude. Breeder took this picture while on the phone with me.
    Name:  IMG_2880.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  91.9 KB

IRIS tub, approved by my cat who happens to be named Iris.
    Name:  IMG_2893.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  83.8 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrettyGargoyle For This Useful Post:

TAD (05-09-2017)

Thanks

Here is how I have my IRIS tub set up for now! (Click to view larger.)

My baby IncÍndio has been all over this thing--the only place I haven't seen him yet is the black Reptile Basics hide. His first feed was 2 days ago and he went straight to the warm corner underneath his Eco Earth hangout as soon as he was done swallowing. I'm just using paper towels for substrate for now, until I see his first #2, and then I'll use up the rest of my Eco Earth and probably switch to Herptopia or something else that has good reviews. I'm not a fan of Eco Earth's weird smell (like gross BBQ). IncÍndio loves burrowing in his Eco Moss hangout so maybe I'll keep using it for that, and a different burrow-able substrate for the whole tub.

I just ordered some smooth decorative gem things to put in the cool corner, hoping he'll like that if he needs to cool down! I would like to find a small tile to put in there too--I'm hoping to switch things up every so often to keep things interesting for him.

He spends quite a bit of time in his water tub, it's so cool to see! (I am so smitten with him.) The tub is a Ziploc "large rectangle" container (like Tupperware) and it's a really nice size for him, plenty of room for him to have a nice soak.

I used a soldering iron to make ventilation holes--there's 7 holes on each long side and 4 holes on each short side (my iron has multiple tips, so I used the biggest one). The humidity has stayed put at 99% since the first minute I put the hygrometer in the tub--even before I had moss or water in there.

I'm in love with this tub, so I hope this post is helpful to someone getting a baby rainbow boa in the future. The only thing I'm not especially crazy about is the locking handles--they're pretty hardcore, which is good for keeping snakes inside, but it also means that they're kind of loud when you open and close them, which might frighten the snake. Fortunately my dude seems to be a pretty confident guy, so I don't think the noise scares him. One night I opened the enclosure while he was in his water bowl and reached ever so slowly over his head to grab the moist hide so I could change the moss and he just peered up at me with curiosity, didn't coil up or shrink back or anything. Ugh, I LOVE him!