Thread: I want a small snake plant

Thanks

Default I want a small snake plant

My baby garg is in a 12"x12"x18" and I want to put a small potted sanseveria in it. I don't have the best access to gardening stores, and I looked at Wal-Mart (of course there's one within walking distance ) but they only have very large snake plants. I'm looking at NEHERP and I've read here on the forum that Josh's Frogs tends to have smaller plants than NEHERP, so should I order from Josh's Frogs instead, or does NEHERP send plants that are small enough to fit nicely in the 12x12x18?
    My Little Gargoyle on YouTube - Instagram
    2.1.0 CATS | Ramses, Hades, Iris
    0.0.1 GARGOYLE | Ligeia or Bradbury
    1.0.0 BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA | IncÍndio

Thanks

I think you can contact either place and tell them exactly what you are looking for, and they will do their best to send that!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

Oh my gosh duh, I should have thought of that! lol Thank you!

Thanks

Just want to jump in real quick and say that I started most of my bios with snake plants, but all of them quickly outgrew the space. Recently I had to take the one out of my 12x12x18 because when they start to get too tall, the only option is lopping the tops off the plants or else their rigid leaves will push against the screen. They're great plants, and very hardy, but you'll have to keep a close eye on one in a smaller tank.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ayimera For This Useful Post:

MyPrettyGargoyle (05-16-2017)

Thanks

Thanks for the info! I was definitely planning on reading up more on how to keep them small while it's in the smaller tank.

Thanks

If you know someone who has one, they go from cuttings very easily. Just chop off a piece, about 2-4" tall, make sure you know which end is the bottom, and shove it (bottom end down) into some soil, or soil like substance. Keep it watered, but not soggy, and plenty of indirect light (ie no actual sunlight). It will usually root up and then make a new leaf coming out of the dirt next to the cutting. It will keep making new babies and clumping up, while the new leaves also get taller. When it gets too big, chop it up and repeat the process. Oh, the original piece of cutting will usually die off eventually, and usually it will not get taller (but sometimes it does). Also, there are dwarf varieties that don't get real tall, but the leaves are generally wider than the normal types. The dwarfs are not real common though, so you may have trouble finding them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GlowingGecko For This Useful Post:

MyPrettyGargoyle (07-10-2017)

Thanks

Awesome! I actually have a neighbor who has a huge one on his porch. Thanks so much for the tips!!

Thanks

Your welcome. Oh, didn't think of this last night, if you do go with a cutting, you want most of it above ground, so it looks like the adult plant. Just sink it in about 1/2", or maybe a little less. The big three for doing cuttings from sanseviria: make sure you put the bottom end in the dirt (If you put the top end in, it will die), no direct sun--but plenty of light, and not soggy. You may want to use some take-out chopsticks to hold it up till it gets rooted if it could get bumped a lot. They are very easy to do from cuttings.