Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are cresties more active/adventurous than gargoyles?

Thanks

Oh I didn't even see your replies, I didn't get emails!

You do bring up a good point--people are probably a bit less likely to post/make a video about their geckos who want nothing to do with handling (and I probably easily forget those ones while fixating on stories of friendly ones). I'm definitely not going to become disillusioned if my baby never calmly lets me pick her up, I just really adore her and I'm one of those sappy animal lovers who wants to love them and hug them and squeeze them into itty bitty pieces. (Don't worry, I know I can't do that. )

I do have kind of a question that I've been thinking about for a while actually, and wasn't really comfortable with starting a thread about it, so I'll ask you instead! Do you happen to have any links to articles or know of any books that talk about scientific research/evidence about reptiles not enjoying handling and/or not having the capacity to bond with caretakers? I see many, many people who find it very important to stress that reptiles don't form bonds and don't like being handled but I never see where this information comes from and I'm interested to read about it.

I also have a question about UVB but I asked you about that on Instagram.

You know, when I first discovered gargoyles and was researching having one as a pet, I didn't like the look of cresties and couldn't understand what the fuss was about. Aaaaand NOW I have to stop myself from looking at them all the time so that I don't impulsively buy one before I'm really ready to have another gecko.
    My Little Gargoyle on YouTube - Instagram
    2.1.0 CATS | Ramses, Hades, Iris
    0.0.1 GARGOYLE | Ligeia or Bradbury
    1.0.0 BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA | IncÍndio

Thanks

I've read several times on this forum that the gargoyles are much easier to handle once they are grown, and that the little ones are pretty flighty for a while. So, I just have to be patient! At least my gargoyle, Hygge, is starting to come out in places where i can see him now, where TAD (my crestie) still hides all day long.

I'm still a little leery of handling Hygge as I think he might bolt for the door. So trying to be very careful when I'm cleaning and have to move him, that he jumps from my hand into the Kritter Keeper and is safe there until he's ready to go back home. I'll be so glad when he is bigger and will be a "lump on my hand". I'm going to try to weigh him in a deli cup this weekend.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

TAD - Have you tried to just handle him for a couple minutes at all, or do you just move him to and fro his tank and Kritter Keeper? My little one hates when I try to get her out but calms down as soon as I have a good "grip" on her (I don't ever actually grip her, but I hope you get what I mean) and she's totally calm when I have her out. She really likes to climb up my arm and hang out on my shoulder--which isn't to say that she's just so happy to hang out on my shoulder, I think she just goes there because it's "up".

Ever since I posted this thread, I've been seeing my baby using more spaces in her cage lol. I've even seen her on top of the hanging coconut hide (although not inside it yet). A couple times I've seen her peeking out the door of the temple decoration, it's the cutest thing. One day she was just hanging out on the floor of the tank and I got concerned so I took her out and looked her over, she was fine of course and then I felt bad for bothering her.
    My Little Gargoyle on YouTube - Instagram
    2.1.0 CATS | Ramses, Hades, Iris
    0.0.1 GARGOYLE | Ligeia or Bradbury
    1.0.0 BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA | IncÍndio

Thanks

I haven't handled my gargoyle a whole lot yet, mostly because he's sleeping most of the time when I am awake, and I feel like if I get in there and try to wake him up just to chase him around to catch him, I don't know how much I'm really disturbing the sleep cycle. I hardly ever see him moving around if there's any light on at all. I know he's active at night, but just not when I can see him. So I'm kind of ambivalent about how much handling I should do! I'm pretty sure it will be a little easier once he's grown more and calms down a little bit. Right now he's still pretty flighty on the rare occasions when I do try to move him. I can see that he's grown some since I got him, and I think he's eating well, although he hasn't taken any worms yet.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I'm a night owl, so I mostly handle mine (usually just to weigh and look over during feeding) after 10pm. Shortly thereafter the lights are out, so I think that works for us all.

I find my gargs to be a bit pickier about bugs. They seem to like them on the larger side, and even the few I have who refuse live food (insects) *always* show interest at my mourning geckos/eurydactylodes/juvies of any species. They will watch them all the way across the room. I think they are pretty big on vertebrates in the wild...

If you are worried about protein, you can try the Pangea breeder formula and/or mix in Repashy Grub Pie.