Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are cresties more active/adventurous than gargoyles?

Thanks

Default are cresties more active/adventurous than gargoyles?

I'm super brand new to the reptile world, so I'm not familiar with crested personalities vs gargoyles. I have a baby gargoyle (6.25 grams--unsexed but I tend to think of it as female) and it seems like she never moves around the tank! I've had her for just 5.5 weeks. I've watched a billion videos on YouTube and read so many posts here where crested geckos are active in their tanks and actually use their lovingly-provided decorations and ledges and hides, etc. There are far fewer gargoyle videos on YouTube, and I don't seem to see/read about gargoyles being active (which I totally realize could be confirmation bias blindness on my part). My baby, like, never ever moves around. Well actually, starting last weekend her new sleeping place is hanging out on a fake vine, which got me super excited because I was so happy that she's finally expanding her horizons. I realize that it's possible she's super active while I'm sleeping, but I feel like I would have witnessed/heard it at least one time in the past 5-6 weeks?

Also it seems like everyone except me has geckos that are friendly from day 1. Anyone want to share their hard-to-get gecko stories??

I have my garg in a 12"x12"x18" Exo Terra.

I used to have a little bit more foliage in it but I thinned it out so that I don't have to fight past so many leaves when I'm trying to take her out and she's scrambling away from me. I also used to have a paper towel roll in there but never saw her use it. You can't really see in this picture, because of the glare, but I do have a BioVine in there, it goes across the tank just under the bottom of the foam background and my garg spends like 98% of her time on it.

P.S. I'm not going to be disappointed and ask for a refund or anything if it turns out that gargoyles are just lazier than cresteds, I'm just asking out of curiosity.
    My Little Gargoyle on YouTube - Instagram
    2.1.0 CATS | Ramses, Hades, Iris
    0.0.1 GARGOYLE | Ligeia or Bradbury
    1.0.0 BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA | IncÍndio

Thanks

Some gargoyles can be lazier, but I find it's more that they don't become active until lights are out. Even my most tame individuals who will sit like lumps on my hand, and sit out in the open all day...they don't move until it's dark. And they go all over their enclosures, but are usually right back at the same spot come daylight. In other words, your baby is out and active...you just don't see it.

This goes for some of my cresteds as well, though I find some are prone to poking their heads out and start wandering as early as 8-9PM regardless of if my lights are on or not.

As for taming - I find most of my babies are a bit jumpy until they start to get some size...some more than others. I make a point of looking them over quick whenever I change out food etc. Eventually they get used to it and calm down significantly.

I should mention though, that I never put such small juvies in an enclosure of that size. With the gargs I find smaller, simpler enclosures help both with eating and with taming. Typically I move them into a 12x12x18 at 15g or so. Any of my babies would be a bit flighty (ie trying to get away) if I was digging them out of an enclosure that size, at that weight. I don't think you need to downsize, it might just take longer for her to stop scrambling, as you said.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Niffarious For This Useful Post:

MyPrettyGargoyle (04-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Niffarious View Post

I should mention though, that I never put such small juvies in an enclosure of that size. With the gargs I find smaller, simpler enclosures help both with eating and with taming. Typically I move them into a 12x12x18 at 15g or so. Any of my babies would be a bit flighty (ie trying to get away) if I was digging them out of an enclosure that size, at that weight. I don't think you need to downsize, it might just take longer for her to stop scrambling, as you said.
    Aw, I've actually been thinking I should have her in a smaller enclosure! I just wasn't sure if it was significant enough of an issue to uproot her. She's calm when I hold her, she just doesn't like when I reach for her. Of course I can't blame her, big scary hand coming out of nowhere pushing all the plants away!

I actually just got a little video camera that records in infrared, just so I can see what she gets up to when I'm sleeping! I still need to get it situated and figure out how to record for a couple hours though.

Thanks

Well, I have a very shy 6-year-old crestie in an 18x18x24, and an 8-month old gargoyle who, like yours, is in a 12x12x18.

TAD is my shy crestie, and he has one favorite plant in the corner of his tank where he spends all of his days. He's there when I wake up in the morning, and he's there all day until after I turn out the lights and go to bed at night. I know he's all over his tank during the night as I find poop in various places, his worms are gone by morning, and there are little bitty footprints all over the glass. So I know he's very active - I just never see him! And I hate to wake him up to handle him during the day, so I mostly do that when I am cleaning his tank every other weekend. I'm ok with him being a display animal as I don't want to stress him out too much, but I must admit, I am just a teeny bit jealous of all of you who can handle yours so well!

I am hoping my garg, Hygge, will be a little more handle-able as he grows. I would be fine with a lump on my hand. But I find too, that he doesn't move during the day and roams around at night. He is never in the same place in the morning where he was when I went to bed, and I wake up in the morning and play "Where's the gargoyle?" I use artificial plants, but I put just a few of them in the tank, just enough to give him a few places to hide and feel safe. But I do have lots of large vines and a couple of pieces of mopani (waterproof) wood, and the background is cork bark, so he has lots to climb in and on, and can use all areas of the tank.

I guess for your tank I'd suggest a few more things to climb on. They're pretty flighty when they're small, but should calm down (at least I hope so!) as they grow. We'll have to compare notes!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

MyPrettyGargoyle (04-28-2017)

Thanks

Aw, your TAD sounds like a cutie, for some reason. Maybe because he's so shy. How does he act when you do handle him?

I did have more stuff in her tank but I took stuff out so that I don't have to move so many things out of the way when reaching for her. I'm going to put the paper towel tube back in and when she's less scared of my hand I'll put more stuff. I have so many decorations all stored away on a shelf and I'm so eager for her to get big enough for a 18"x18"x24" so I can put a bunch more stuff in it!

Thanks

Hi there

I own both a Crestie and a Gargoyle, both are around a year old.

I would say that my Gargoyle, Poe, moves in stages, generally quite deliberately. He seems to decide where he wants to go, one little journey at a time, with extended periods of stillness in between.
    In all the time I've had him, I don't think I have ever witnessed him actively moving from one position to another. I do know that he moves all over the tank at night and when he knows I amen't watching him. He's very crafty!

My Crestie, Thio, is a bit more compulsive, he will wander all over the place continually seeking out anything he shows an interest in, eventually resting on a high ledge overlooking his kingdom. He is definitely less bothered of being seen by me.

From my own perspective and experiences, I believe that Poe is marginally more intelligent than Thio. Poe is much more cautious and calculating in how and when he moves, so as not to attract my attention. I also frequently observe him peeking round very slowly to check what I'm up to, as if keeping an eye on me, without moving much at all. Clever boy.

It is also worth considering that both species are certainly creatures of habit- generally, they will return to their EXACT sleeping positions from the previous day, so if you don't check in on them at night, it could be easy to assume they hadn't moved at all! But they most certainly will have done. Then other times they throw you off by choosing a new sleeping spot after weeks in another one. Habit is strong in their behavior, but so is impulsivity and curiousity. Sometimes they are very difficult to find in the tank- I've lost count of the number of times I had worried they might somehow have escaped, before finding them upside down on a branch at the back.

They will explore every inch of their home. It's good to change up the layout every 6 months, to prevent boredom for them. Both my geckos respond well to new additions and stimuli in their tank, so long as this isn't too often.

Have fun observing your lovely Gargoyle

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMaskedGuy For This Useful Post:

MyPrettyGargoyle (04-28-2017)

Thanks

HappyMaskedGuy--your gargoyle is Poe, mine is Ligeia! (If it turns out to be a girl--the breeder checked for pores before shipping and she said there were possible faint pseudo pores.) Awesome.

I know exactly what you mean about gargoyles moving deliberately. Mine definitely does this. I'm dying over Poe slowly peeking at you to see if you're watching. Thank you SO MUCH for replying, it reassures me that my garg isn't hating me and her life under my care, and pretty much supports what I've observed in my limited exposure to crested activity vs gargoyle activity.

I definitely don't think my little one will get bored with her enclosure, I have to stop myself from changing it every 2 days as it is. I actually just ordered a hammock for her on Etsy yesterday (which I'm sure she won't use, but it's made out of a Nightmare Before Christmas fabric, so it'll look cool for my own human benefit) and I'm not sure if I want to put it in there right away or wait a while.

Thanks

Also, there is a tendency for people to 'play up' their 'wonderfully tame gecko' stories.

A gecko under 10-15 grams really does NOT want to be handled. There is a simple reason for this- young lizards are highly predated in the wild. At this stage in their lives, their biology is compelling them to avoid everything at all costs, at the risk of being eaten.
    All they want to do is hide, and eat enough to quickly grow into adulthood. The quicker they do this, the lower their chance of being eaten.

Young geckos have no interest in interacting with humans. Zero. In fact, they want nothing more than to avoid contact with big animals. They have evolved over millions of years, successfully applying this strategy.

When people claim that their hatchling geckos respond to them in any other way than sheer terror, you are reading utter BS. It's a fantasy.

As a gecko gets older, it mellows out because it's size allows it less chance of being predated. Simple.

I got both my Crestie and Gargoyle as hatchlings. Both ran like greased lightning from me, as they should. I was worried my geckos were too scared, too hyper, and that I'd never be able to handle them. If I could advise me back then, I would say- calm down.

Handle your animal minimally until it is about 12 grams. Then introduce handling every second day for about 20 minutes at a time.

Just be patient. You will have a tame gecko (usually. All geckos are different, mind). But yeah- anyone who says that their gecko has never been afraid of them or tried to run off is lying. Either that or their gecko is mentally slow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyPrettyGargoyle View Post
    HappyMaskedGuy--your gargoyle is Poe, mine is Ligeia! (If it turns out to be a girl--the breeder checked for pores before shipping and she said there were possible faint pseudo pores.) Awesome.

I know exactly what you mean about gargoyles moving deliberately. Mine definitely does this. I'm dying over Poe slowly peeking at you to see if you're watching. Thank you SO MUCH for replying, it reassures me that my garg isn't hating me and her life under my care, and pretty much supports what I've observed in my limited exposure to crested activity vs gargoyle activity.

I definitely don't think my little one will get bored with her enclosure, I have to stop myself from changing it every 2 days as it is. I actually just ordered a hammock for her on Etsy yesterday (which I'm sure she won't use, but it's made out of a Nightmare Before Christmas fabric, so it'll look cool for my own human benefit) and I'm not sure if I want to put it in there right away or wait a while.
    Thank you for replying to me! You are most welcome by the way.

I honestly think the gecko community needs a little more realistic perspective. That doesn't mean we can't love our animals, and maybe even get some form of gratitude from them. But there is too much misinformation out there that misrepresents what these animals are, and therefore what they need from us to be happy and healthy as possible.

Mind you, when I talk to my geckos, I do refer to myself as 'dad'.

Pathetic human *rolls eyes*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyPrettyGargoyle View Post

Sorry, my responses are kind of sporadic just now because my phone sucks.

Ligeia- now that is a nice coincidence! I named my Gargoyle expressly after Edgar Allan Poe, so yeah. Good tastes

I personally think that Gargoyle geckos are a little more personable than Cresties, but i love both my wee guys. It's a good thing to understand early on that a relationship with a gecko is generally very one sided, but that doesn't mean it is any less enriching and fantastic. I think that it helps both owner and animal to accept the real nature of the animal. Never take any behavior personally- which is surprisingly easy to do!

Do you have any other questions or queries? I'm not an expert, but I have good knowledge and experience (obsessive personality)