Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a new snake. KSB

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Got a new snake. KSB

So I got a new Anery, Kenyan Sand Boa today in the mail. She is a pretty little thing. Maybe 6-7" long.

I'm in the process of setting up her enclosure and thought I'd see if any of you all have any experience or thoughts on it.
    I'm using a bio bubble terrarium.
    It looks like this one but without anything in it. (See picture)

I have a mini double deep dome in the top resting on the mesh screen. In it I have a small led light (40w equivalent) and a 75watt CHE that is hooked into a thermostat with probe. That prob I plan on placing in the substrate under the CHE to regulate the temperature. I laid have the thermostat on a timer so that I have a nice day/night temperature cycle.

For substrate I'm thinking of using your normal non-dyed playsand. But I'm open to suggestions.

As for decor I have a enclosed hide that I can place a damp media in to aid in shedding. I also have another hide that is open bottom and light enough not to pose a danger to her. I also have a small selection of artificial plants I am going to use just to make it pleasing to the eye. I know she will have little use for them lol. Lastly I have a small water dish for a source of fresh water.

The enclosure is roughly 24"x16" for floor space. It so has two nice vents on the access doors to allow fresh air in and let out humidity.

I will be feeding her outside of the terrarium in a plastic container.

Let me know what you all think.
    I'm open to any comments.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

I thought it looked interesting, so I looked at the reviews for it on Amazon. It averaged a 3 rating out of 5.

One of them said the following:
    Setup was a pain. Everything but the mesh wiring (where the light fixture goes) is plastic. So, you open the box, everything is disassembled. You put the bottom together so that it'll hold your substrate, but then you've gotta connect the doors (i guess pins come with the item to securely shut the door, but i didn't see any. I ended up using twine to just tie the doors in place). And the doors need to be placed JUST SO, right direction, snug, etc. or nothing else will fit. The, you've gotta do the viewing panes (the acrylic walls). These things are FLIMSY. But, if you haven't secured your doors JUST RIGHT, they won't fit and the top won't fit. So, you're probably going to struggle with that. Even once you have everything popped into place, because of how flimsy and loosely everything connects,the acrylic viewing panes will still pop out of place if you try to move the item (although it is very light, so that's a plus).

Once you have it done, if you don't seal the acrylic viewing panes, don't put a snake in it. Snakes push on their cages and have the muscle to easily push this thing apart. However, geckos, frogs, and similar creatures that may scratch at the window (or just sit around) can be easily kept in this. Unfortunately, i wanted to put my ball python in it...

For set up, one brick of coco fiber EASILY filled in the bottom. However, due to the fact that the acrylic panes are not one piece, but must be slid into place, substrate can easily get caught into the grooves. So, if you haven't sealed it,that's a problem. That said, the ovally, bubbly kind of design allowed a nice depth of substrate so that I could create a little burrow under the substrate for my snake. It comes with a "substrate" removal thing... But, that's really pointless.if you only put substrate on that plastic substrate holder, you'd only be covering the very middle of this enclosure, which would leave a large portion of the floor bare and unused. Even in the stock pictures, they have substrate clearly covering the entire floor,not just the little area of the substrate holder - the makers even recognize how pointless it is.

for heating, the lamp area is very large and the dome provides an excellent safety feature against knocking the cage,cats, etc. However, most snakes and geckos don't need that overhead light... so, where to put the heating pad? In a dry environment, like a leopard gecko, you can,actually, easily put a MINI heat pad inside the enclosure or on the back,outer acrylic pane to create heat gradients. Mini heat pads do not typically exceed 115 F,making them the only safe option if using heat pads as the acrylic/plastic will NOT melt. Of course,monitor your pad with a temp gun. If it is under the substrate or on the wall,it'll probably be fine.

The thing,itself, i would liken to the size of a 20-30 gallon aquarium, only more unique looking. This means that for a little gecko, they will have lots of room to run and play. The round design, i think, makes romping around the pace easier because there aren't any sharp corners to ram the nose into.

All in all, this tank has many flaws. But, it is still a cute,nice looking piece that is suitable for a wide variety of pets. Just not snakes in its current state. Or highly aquatic animals. This will not hold water. I really couldn't decide between 2 or 3 stars, so i just gave it a 3.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (04-19-2017)

Thanks

Yes it is a pain to put together lol. I had a leopard gecko in it for a year before I upgraded it. I had to do a little DIY modification to get everything the way I wanted it. I cut a price of plexiglass to fit the bottom and attached a heating pad to that. I also had to make a small hole in the back panel to accommodate the power and probe cord. It's nice after you get it set up and because it's such a pain to put together after you have it done you don't want to take it down. Lol.
    That why I looked for something to put back in it and decided on the KSB.
    I appreciate the reply and it will help others if they see this and want to try it.

I'd be happy to provide another thread with a review and my modifications if anyone would like.

Thanks

Here is some pics of the setup I done. I should mention that this window gets lots of indirect sunlight but no direct sunlight.

Thanks

Looks great! That's going to be one happy KSB.
    2.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus

Thanks

Hi big will this new snake get? Will you be able to keep it in that terrarium, after all your hard work?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I'm not the owner but I can say that KSBs can get over a foot so definitely not permanently!
    2.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Hi big will this new snake get? Will you be able to keep it in that terrarium, after all your hard work?
    I am hoping too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revasius View Post
    I'm not the owner but I can say that KSBs can get over a foot so definitely not permanently!
    Why do you say that? From the guides I have a read a 15 gallon is adequate for one and this is larger. The specs say that it is 24"x16" for the floor. Admittedly it's an ellipse in stead​ of a rectangle so you have some loss of area but it's still considerably more than a standard 15gallon aquarium.

If I am mistaken please let me know.

Thanks

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...nyan-Sand-Boa/

This is one of the ones I looked at.