Thread: Lethargic Crestie

Thanks

Default Lethargic Crestie

TIA for any help. I'm so happy I found this site. I've had my crestie Geek for 3 years. IDK if Geek is male or female; I just call him a he. I got him from a friend when she moved and couldn't take him. She had him for 4.5 years. I knew nothing about cresties except for the little I learned from her and what I've read about on the internet. His original enclosure was very bare and not healthy when I got him. She didn't have anything for him to climb on. All she fed him was crickets. I changed his entire diet and enclosure and made it more "nature like". I've never had any issues with Geek. He's always appeared to be healthy and happy.

I noticed 2 months ago that he was not being as active as usual and was spending a lot of time on the floor of the enclosure. He wasn't climbing the vines or the glass. I noticed stuck shed on all 4 feet. I soaked and peeled off as much as I could over the course of 4 weeks. I discovered there were 2 layers of stuck shed on his feet. I couldn't get the shed off of 3 toes no matter what I did. Geek just finished a new shed and I had to help get the shed off the toes again. But I think I got everything off.

He's still not being his normal self. He's climbing very little and remains low to the ground. He's not eating as well. When he does eat, it's because I'm hand feeding him. His tongue looks very pale and his color is dull and pasty looking. He keeps putting his face against the glass and pointing his head straight up. He kind of twists his body in the corner in that weird position. He's very lethargic and not himself. I don't have a reptile vet in my area or a vet that is knowledgeable with reptile issues. Any ideas of what is wrong and how I can help him is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

I am so sorry to hear that your Geek is not doing well . If his conditions have not changed much over the 3 years you had him, it sound like there might be a chronic slow-onset issue happening. Especially with the description of chronic stuck shed, lethargy, and off movements, my concern would be MBD. What exactly is his diet and what is his temp/humidity/lighting at? Could you post a photo of him and his setup? Ideally you would want to get him seen by a vet - at the least you should be able to send off a fecal sample as it can be analyzed the same way as other animals.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Agreed^^
    Knowing his perameters for his setup would help greatly as well as a photo of him and your setup. Getting a fecal sample sent somewhere would also probably help.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

I think he has MBD and FTS. I never realized he had these diseases until I started researching. When I got him his tail had a zig zag look to it but I thought it was his normal. He also had a little arch to his back but again I thought it was his normal. His previous owner fed him only a diet of crickets (no dusting). Since I have had him (3yrs), I feed him Repashy every night and feed him calcium dusted crickets once a week. I also give him National Geographic gecko entree pellets as a treat once a month. His calcium sacs are big and fat. His original enclosure had only a stick for him to climb on and she had regular dirt only. I changed everything about his enclosure and added coconut lining, zoo Med dirt and spagnum moss. Also added climbing vines, leafy structures and little hides. I keep the temp between 70-80 in the day and it dips down to about 60-70 in the night and the humidity between 65-80%. He gets a lot of natural light but I also have a zoo med 60w blue bulb for additional light and warmth as needed. I'm not sure how to post pics but I'll try. I will find a vet and see if they can help me figure out what's going on with him.