Thread: Plant Sources?

Thanks

Default Plant Sources?

Hello all, I have a question or two about vivarium plant sources. Has anyone bought plants from Josh's Frogs and what do you think of the quality? I usually buy from Neherp, but they don't have a few of the plants that I am really interested in. My only worry is quality and size, because I want to make sure I won't be getting a little 2 inch sickly plant. Thanks!

Thanks

I've heard from people that they're a decent company. They used to be quite overpriced last I looked, but that was a while ago. Checking back now they look like they've brought their prices down a little bit where they're competitive with NEHERP.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

I've bought from them twice - not plants, but other products. Their service was great. I think you'd be safe buying plants from them.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

I've bought from both Josh's and NEHerp before, both are great companies and you will get quality plants, however the plants from NEHerp are always significantly larger than what you get from Josh's. If you don't mind waiting for a tiny plant to really grow into your terrarium, then I would purchase from them

Thanks

Ok, thanks for the replies! I will probably buy plants from Josh's then, as I don't mind starting with a small plant, so long as it's healthy. Oh, and on a related note, what are some vivarium plants that can add some pops of color? Currently my tank is completely green and has way too many snake plants for my liking, so I'm pondering tearing some of the snake plants while leaving all other plants. In stead, I'd be building a cork tree, similar to empire3569's. I hope you don't mind if I might borrow your idea, @ empire3569! I just really like that look and I feel like it would make much better use of space. I feel like I'm wasting a lot of space with my current set up and I don't feel that the gecko has enough hiding spots. So I'm thinking bromeliads, which types are most colorful? And what are some colorful/interesting non green terrestrial plants?

Thanks

I agree that the Neherp plants tend to be a little bigger and I find they wrap them a little better. Other than that, you get good quality plants from Josh's Frogs as well. I bought plants from both companies, and some do great in my viv, some died - which I credit more to my general 'brown thumb' and continued assault by a big gecko. All plants were in good shape when I first got them. One exception may be the "live moss" I bought from Neherp. It looked pretty brown and lifeless when I got it and never came back to life in the vivarium. Had much better success with live moss I bought at ReptiCon.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Don't mind at all! As far as bromeliads, most actually have spines on the petals that could potentially tear a gecko's soft skin. The only two I would recommend (and the only two that I use) are Neo. "fireball" and Neo. "chiquita linda" as both are spineless and look nice