Thread: Has anyone had problems/positves with...

Thanks

Wink Has anyone had problems/positves with...

Has anybody had any problems/positives with flipping a 20 gallon long on its side and using it as an enclosure for Crested Geckos or Gargoyle geckos in general? Or should it be a bigger size as it is a little narrow?
    I saw people doing it and it seems like a cheaper alternative (plus easier to find the space for, ha ha ha) compared to the well known Exo-Terra's.
    If you did...

1) Was there any problems with humidity?
    2) How did you heat it? A heat pad/mat..? If so, how did that work? Did you have to raise the tank on wood/blocks..?
    3) Where did you purchase your screen/front? Or did it come with it..?
    4) And how did you do substrate as the front would most likely be a locking screen? I am guessing it would fall through the screen.

To me, these seem to be a cheaper alternative and they can go up against/on top of each other. I also like the fact the front would be screen (for viewing) so I would not have to worry about water stains on the sides and front, ha ha ha.
    Thanks! Any info is helpful!
    - Hail7ey
    Hailey Rose
    1.0 Correlophus Ciliatus ~ Gobi
    0.1 Maltese/Terrier ~ Mazy
    1.0 Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu ~ Milo

Thanks

I haven't ever used them, but my first thought about the screen on the front is that it might rust, and also, it's really more difficult to see through than glass.

Hopefully others will chime in.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

Im doing this right now with three 29 gallon tanks which are essentially the same size just deeper.. I made my doors with vinyl screening and screen frame kits.I have all three doors done now, but havent added animals until I get some deco. I couldnt find premade doors anywhere. I just used gorilla tape for hinges and industrial strength velcro strips for keeping them shut..I dont want to use hinges until Im sure I am going to keep them this way. Im not using heat since Im keeping them upstairs. Humidity might be an issue especially this winter but I can always cover the upper part of the door with vinyl sheet or thick plastic.

I had a vertical 40 gallon with a pair of halmahara geckos years ago, it worked great until I didnt get the acrylic door closed properly and lost my female. I wouldnt use acrylic again unless I used the thicker stuff. Also I used heat pads mounted to the upper side for them..

Thanks

Yeah, I was thinking it may rust, but my Exo-Terra's already tend to rust fast. I think I may purchase just the full screen ones they make for desert setups and just glue on some hinges and a latch if I do end up going down this route.
    I am reconsidering as it is hard to get big enough tanks. I guess it is the same with the Exo-Terra's though as most online sites only sell the smaller sizes. My local pet store is the only one in town so it is VERY expensive. Like a 12" x 12" x 18" tank is 60-80 dollars online, while at the pet store, it is like 120. it is ridiculous shopping there. The only thing I do buy is crickets. Even then though, that can be pretty sketchy.
    Hailey Rose
    1.0 Correlophus Ciliatus ~ Gobi
    0.1 Maltese/Terrier ~ Mazy
    1.0 Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu ~ Milo