Thread: USFWS: Added species to the contrictor rule for Lacey Act

Thanks

Default USFWS: Added species to the contrictor rule for Lacey Act

I didn't see a post about this (please excuse me if there is one)... So I thought I'd post. You guys may not be aware of it, but it's all over the snake groups / forums now. The USFWS has added all the other species of anaconda and reticulated pythons to the lacey act. They almost added boas, but excluded them at the last minute.

It is the overall feeling that they are trying to take species away a few at a time, targeting the smallest numbers of keepers so that there isn't a big reaction from the herp community as a whole. These additions to the lacey act are being pushed by HSUS and PETA who have the ultimate goal of no pet ownership period... They are starting with the big snakes, then will move to the smaller snakes, then your geckos will be next. If we don't stand up for our rights as pet owners, they will continue to push their agenda.

How the lacey act effects you: If you own any species on the list, you cannot move to another state with your pet or you will have committed a federal crime and possibly face up to 5 years in prison plus heavy fines. You also cannot have any species from the list transported / shipped across state lines legally. This can effect you if you move, if your vet happens to be in the next state over, or if you want to own one of these animals and there are none in your state.

At this point, although there are petitions circulating online, there is nothing that we can do outside of jointing and supporting USARK's lawsuit against the USFWS. This is an ongoing suit and the new species that have been added will be added to the lawsuit.

If you care about your future in owning, breeding, or selling herps or exotics of anykind, please consider joining USARK.... I just joined last week. I had been considering for a long time, but when they almost listed a species I own 2 of (boas), it brought it home to me... This is pretty much all we can do at this point, so we might as well try. If you don't want to join, they do also have the option to just donate to the lawsuit (reptile defense fund) as well.

Please consider this and also spread the word to others in the exotic community. PETA and HSUS have deep pockets and have apparently gotten the USFWS to push their agenda.

Here is a link to USARK's page.
    Here is a link to a youtube video about the lacey act.
    And another by a US breeder (it is long but good).

Thanks

A Reptile Radio interview with Rick Stanley. if you want to know where we are now... listen to this.http://www.blogtalkradio.com/reptile...h-rick-stanley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

Sachi Whitsett (04-24-2015)

Thanks

This is the latest good news!
    http://usark.org/2015-blog/7109/

Thanks

Yes! Still waiting on how it will be applied (they are going back on 5/18) so no shipping yet, but this is very positive. Many people have said that it is typical for you to win the case if you win the injunction. All good news. Hopefully this will show USFWS and HSUS / PETA that we will fight for our rights to own our pets.

I still highly recommend that people donate to USARK's legal defense fund.. Every bit will help.. USFWS/HSUS have very deep pockets and this fight will go on for quite some time.
    1.2 crested geckos 0.3 ball pythons 3.0 boa constrictors 1.0 jag carpet python, 1.0 western hognose, 0.2 Kenyan sand boas 1.0 cat