Thread: When to upgrade tank size?

Thanks

Default When to upgrade tank size?

I purchased my first garg yesterday at the Show Me Reptile Show. This is my first gecko so I am looking for some advice.

Right now I have the little guy in one of the large shoebox sized kritter keepers on paper towels.

I have a 12x12x18 terrarium with natural substrate as a grow out tank, and a much larger enclosure with live plants and whatnot that I would like to use as his final home.

I was wondering if anyone has some guidelines on when to upgrade from one tank to the other. I havent had a chance to weigh him yet, but he's fairly small. I would assume weight or age is a decent indicator on how long to keep him in a smaller tank. I wouldnt mind placing him in the final tank, but I also didnt want to stress him too much. I thought maybe a gradual upgrade was a better idea...

Thanks

Yup, gradual upgrade would be best. I have a new garg coming tomorrow; he is about 8 grams, and he will be in a 12x12x18 until he gets to about 20g.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

MyPrettyGargoyle (04-05-2017)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip My little guy is also 8 grams; I weighed him last night.

Hygge is adorable, I saw the picture you posted. Congrats

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cootiegurl For This Useful Post:

TAD (04-05-2017)

Thanks

Thank you very much!

For your little one, I would suggest using paper towels for substrate until he is an adult. There's a risk of impaction with young ones with the cocoa bark or eco-earth.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0