Thread: Help my gargoyles is a pale yellow

Thanks

Post Help my gargoyles is a pale yellow

So I have a hatchling gargoyle who originally is a dark brown . he just went through a healthy shed was brown like normal and after a week is turning a scary whitish yellow over night. is it normal for them to shed twice? I hand feed him with a spoon everyday and keep water in a dish. Only thing I changed with him is misting his cage . I read it was a god idea to mist it every couple days. should I stop misting?

Thanks

Hi sorry for late reply i only just saw your post. Gargoyle s can go through quite extreme colour changes. I have a red/Brown striped gecko that goes a creamy/brown colour & a Very dark green colour that goes a grey colour. I think their colour changes are more extreme that cresties. I mist twice daily light mist in the most if heavier mist in the evening. Misting is really important for maintaining humidity & good shedding. Depending of how much he is growing he could be shedding quite frequently not sure how old your hatching is but my new hatching shed at least 1-2 weekly but all my hatchling have been little piggies & eat very well.
    If possible you should try to break the habbit of hand feeding as they should be feeding on their own. When mine hatch for the first week I assist with feeding but after these I leave them to feed independently. The longer you hand feed the more difficult it will be encourage him to feed himself then if you are not around you or he will run into trouble.
    Good luck with him.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AceGargoyles For This Useful Post:

TAD (04-05-2017)

Thanks

im so glad its normal and nothing serious . I was really worried this is my first gecko. ill stop hand feeding him. one of the people I talked to at a reptile show told me to hand feed them as hatchlings but I would hate to have to do that his whole life . I really appreciate all the advice thank you so much

Thanks

Hi yes your not the first person who has been concerned about colour changes as they are extreme if your not aware or not use to seeing this. I always warn people who take baby gargoyle s from me that this occurs. It's also not uncommon for gargoyles not to eat the day or so before the shed & if they are starting the process of shedding most won't want to be handled during this time. I have had a few babies that get nippy & vocal if I try to pick them up when they are due to shed.
    They are such amazing geckos.
    Steep learning curve to try to please your little garglet but worth it!
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AceGargoyles For This Useful Post:

TAD (04-05-2017)

Thanks

I agree defiantly worth it the little guy just started jumping to my hand to get out of cage and it made me so proud

Thanks

Wow that's great news. Well done.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0