Thread: Leopard Gecko Enclosure Size...

Thanks

Default Leopard Gecko Enclosure Size...

So as some of you might know I was planning on getting Hermit Crabs. Well, change of plans as I have found leopard geckos (and as my mother sadly was NOT okay with having hermit crabs ). I will not be getting the gecko until near the end of May so I will have PLENTY of time to do TONS more research. One thing I do need to settle on though is a size for the enclosure.
    I will be purchasing either a Small/Wide 45 x 45 x 45 cm / 18 x 18 x 18 (WxDxH) or a Medium/Wide 60 x 45 x 45 cm / 24 x 18 x 18 (WxDxH) Exo-Terra tank. I would be fine with getting the Medium Wide as it is bigger but would that be too big??? Or is that still on the small side..?
    Most of the leopard geckos I see online or for sale or at the pet store (Where I will NOT be purchasing mine!) seem kind of puny/small. Everyone says a 10 gallon tank is fine for a single gecko but that is too small for my liking. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
    And I would love love LOVE to see some photos of your leopard geckos and their setup!

- Hail7ey
    Hailey Rose
    1.0 Correlophus Ciliatus ~ Gobi
    0.1 Maltese/Terrier ~ Mazy
    1.0 Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu ~ Milo

Thanks

When I started in the leopard gecko hobby about 14 years ago, the prevailing wisdom was that a 10 gallon tank was fine for one adult. These days, the general opinion is that a single adult should be in a 20 gallon long in order to have enough room for all the hides and to provide a decent heat gradient. The book "The Leopard Gecko Advisor" by Ray Roehner recommends and 18x18 exo-terra. I'm sure your gecko would enjoy either the 18x18 or the 18x24. If it's a very young one you have the option to block off part of the enclosure at first. If you use Zoo-med heat cable instead of an under tank heater, you'll be able to change the configuration of your heat (the cable tapes on as opposed to being stuck on with adhesive) as your gecko's needs change in terms of tank size.

Aliza

3. The Following User Says Thank You to acpart For This Useful Post:

Hailey (03-31-2017)

Thanks

Thanks!
    I think that I will definitely be looking into a medium/wide Exo-Terra. Or even the larger low/desert sizes they carry as I will want a gecko on the bigger side. I recently found some massive guys so I will be saving up and hopefully purchasing sometime early this upcoming summer.
    Hailey Rose
    1.0 Correlophus Ciliatus ~ Gobi
    0.1 Maltese/Terrier ~ Mazy
    1.0 Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu ~ Milo

Thanks

I think 18" tall would be a waste of top space since they are not arboreal and will only use the ground.Last time i saw Exo-terra made nice small but wide terrariums. PT2604 Medium/Low 60 x 45 x 30 cm 24” x 18” x 12” (WxDxH) This is it.Its a perfect Leopard gecko size home.Big enough for max 3 leopard geckos.Depends on how much decor you use.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkcore For This Useful Post:

Hailey (04-02-2017)