Thread: Is my cresti Dehydrated and how can I make him eat more?

Thanks

Default Is my cresti Dehydrated and how can I make him eat more?

Hello! I have had my crested, Poptart, for about 5 days now. He is only one month old but I want him to be the happiest little guy. His color looks faded whenever he lays on his little heated mat ( I live in Wisconsin so he needed the heating ) and I have no idea to motor the consumption of water. At 9, which is the last time I spray his tank he always goes to the same side of the tank to catch about 2 droplets but is that enough? And I don't know if he's going to his food or not. What can I do to monitor him better? Thank you so much!

Thanks

I would be a little concerned about the fact that you say 'he lays on his heat mat'. Is the mat on the outside of the tank or inside the tank.
    If in the tank is it cover with anything??
    Is there an option to stick the heat mat to the side of the tank so your little gecko can't sit on top of it? (Use insulation tape as this sticks well but can be taken off with little marking or mess/damage to the tank).
    You could also use a small milk or bottle lid & provide him with a little water dish too as well as spraying.
    Hope thought be helpful
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

It is on the outside and the inside is layered with paper towel. I have water in a shallow dish and pangea in a milk cap ( just put a little cut up slice of banana that was rolled in calcium and D3 supplement. He lays on the little 4inch by 2 inch pad in the morning. Wouldn't he move if he got to warm though and go back on when he got to cold?

Thanks

Difficult to say, if he falls asleep on it which is likely,
    possibly not & it's a dry artificial heat rather than natural sun heat. I would be tempted to put on side of tank but obviously it's your choice.
    If he has been put in a new home which is likey it may take him a while to settle in & start to eat etc.
    Just a few things to consider. How big is his tank? is he able to locate food easily? You could try putting his pangea on the top of the lid so it's easily accessible. They do only eat small amounts of the food as you can appreciate they are pretty small at one month & have a tiny stomach. Good luck with him.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

What is the temperature in your house? Does he really need a heat mat? (I am in Wisconsin too, but the heat in our house is 65 or above, so I don't use a mat.) If temps are between 65-80, he should be fine. If he does need a mat, it might be better to put it on the side of the tank.

It's normal for them not to eat for a couple of weeks after you get them. And being so tiny, you probably will not even notice a difference in your food cup.

Do you have a hygrometer/thermometer in your tank? If not, I'd suggest getting a digital one. Pangea sells a good one for about $11 on this site. They will drink water drops when you mist (mist a little heavier at night, so they drink when they are active). You have a water dish out, so that should be plenty. You can't really monitor water consumption, so just that if you are misting, he's getting enough.

What are you feeding him? You mentioned banana, but do you have the Pangea or Repashy powdered food as a staple diet? When you mix it with water, that's also a source of fluid and should help with hydration.

Good luck with your little one, where in Wisconsin are you?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

How's things going with your little guy?
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0