Thread: Exo Terra foam background in bioactive setup?

Thanks

Default Exo Terra foam background in bioactive setup?

I'm wanting to turn my 18x18x24 Exo Terra into my first bioactive. It came with a foam background. Will the foam disintegrate from being in water at the bottom and will the clean up crew chew on it?
    3.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus
    0.2 Felis catus
    1.1 Canis lupus familiaris
    90 gallon freshwater aquarium
    Dozens and dozens of orchids

Thanks

I don't know about the standard one that comes with it but most people make their own out of great stuff foam which allows them to also put planters in the background or add pieces of wood to it and I would recommend you doing that as well plus it doesn't really cost that much to do so

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ZakLemon For This Useful Post:

ReptileNoob (02-17-2017)

Thanks

the bg that comes with the tanks will not break down. it's ok to use if you'd like to use it Your microfauna won't touch it and water against it is ok. I've had my foam bg for a year now and its still looking brand new LOL
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (02-17-2017),ReptileNoob (02-17-2017)

Thanks

Cool, thanks. I will use it then. I've seen those backgrounds people make and they're pretty sweet but I just really can't be bothered since I already have a usable background.
    0.2 Felis catus

Thanks

I've had mine in a bioactive setup for over two years and it's it great condition. I had it first with dart frogs and now with Lucy my crested gecko.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFan1 For This Useful Post:

ReptileNoob (02-19-2017)

Thanks

What plants did you put in there?

Thanks

CrestieFan, I love the look of your viv! And the variety of plants you have is great. Is that feeder ledge on the bottom right a large Pangea ledge? I have the small one but it seems to me like it's too small, there's nowhere for the geck to sit and eat.

I finally started mine up. Got all the substrate layers from Pangea- I was waiting for them to release their new Breeding Formula diet so I could get it in my order. Still going to add some more wood pieces, vines, and plants and should get the springtails next week.

Sent from my SM-J500H using Tapatalk
    0.2 Felis catus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ReptileNoob For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (03-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReptileNoob View Post
    CrestieFan, I love the look of your viv! And the variety of plants you have is great. Is that feeder ledge on the bottom right a large Pangea ledge? I have the small one but it seems to me like it's too small, there's nowhere for the geck to sit and eat.

I finally started mine up. Got all the substrate layers from Pangea- I was waiting for them to release their new Breeding Formula diet so I could get it in my order. Still going to add some more wood pieces, vines, and plants and should get the springtails next week.

Sent from my SM-J500H using Tapatalk
    Thank you
    It's by Pangaea I do believe but it was the worm feeder. I use it when I give her the live food.

You can see it better here.

If you will see i solved that problem by placing the small feeder ledge beside the planter so that she would have easier access.

And here is the one on the other side. She will sometimes hang from the limb above and eat out of this one.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFan1 For This Useful Post:

ReptileNoob (03-05-2017)

Thanks

I have been doing similar research. One of the concerns I have heard raised with foam is that the claws and weight of the geckos cause wear and tear on the foam backgrounds. Unlike dart frogs, you need to use something a bit sturdier. There is a really good article on NEHerp on building longer lasting gecko proof backgrounds. I am awaiting some supplies to build one of these right now.

http://www.neherpetoculture.com/custombackgrounds2

They also have substrate that is more tolerant to the variations in humidity (NEHerp substrate V2) that you should consider as well.