Thread: Does my gargoyle gecko look underweight?

Thanks

Default Does my gargoyle gecko look underweight?

I've had my garg since June of 2016. When I got her, she was 35 grams and around 2 years old. She seems quite small for her age, which the breeder affirmed before I bought her. I feed her Pangea mix twice a week.

Name:  20170208_193510.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  80.4 KB Name:  20170208_193530.jpg
Size:  80.3 KB

Her eating habits have fluctuated since I got her, going from not eating for multiple meals to eating all of them completely. Now she eats every time I feed her, but I'm still worried because she seems too thin. Her hips poke out a bit as well.

It's worth noting that all winter, she's gotten a lot less active and doesn't eat occasionally.

Should I be feeding her more? Or is this normal?? Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nisma View Post
    I've had my garg since June of 2016. When I got her, she was 35 grams and around 2 years old. She seems quite small for her age, which the breeder affirmed before I bought her. I feed her Pangea mix twice a week.

Name:  20170208_193510.jpg
Size:  80.4 KB Name:  20170208_193530.jpg
Size:  80.3 KB

Her eating habits have fluctuated since I got her, going from not eating for multiple meals to eating all of them completely. Now she eats every time I feed her, but I'm still worried because she seems too thin. Her hips poke out a bit as well.

It's worth noting that all winter, she's gotten a lot less active and doesn't eat occasionally.

Should I be feeding her more? Or is this normal?? Thanks!
    This probably has everything to do with winter and temperatures. I wouldn't be too concerned, but keep an eye on her. My females tend to eat MUCH less in winter because the temps go down and it is darker most of the time. They will barely move around and just sleep. This is also what takes place in the wild.I would just, again, keep an eye on her. My females all do this every year. Your gecko is very pretty by the way!
    Hope this helped!
    -Hailey

Thanks

I agree, their eating habits do slow down in the winter. She does look pretty healthy but I'd offer her small portions more often (mix a batch and leave it in for 2 nights,change to fresh food on the second night) then she may be more willing to eat knowing it's available at all times
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

She says thank you and thanks for the reassurance, I will

Thanks

Good idea, thanks!