Thread: Ok newbie question for the group.

Thanks

Default Ok newbie question for the group.

My wife received a baby beardie for Christmas and we are learning as we go. I notice about people in the forums talking about feeding CGD. I am not sure what that means.

We started a meal worm farm but then found out they are bad. Was feeding crickets which we hate but found out they aren't great either. Talina, the beardie, didn't like either of them any way.

So we are now raising Dubia, which Talina loves . We bought a colony kit of 2 adult pairs along with 96 various sized nymphs plus bought another 20 adults at a 5 to 1 ratio F/M. Plus ordered 1000 small/medium additional for freeders.

The roach kit came with roach mix and water crystals. As well as egg crates.

Any additional suggestions for a noob would be greatly appreciated.

Just wondering mainly about the abbreviations.

Thank you.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have any info for Talina, however CGD stands for -Crested Gecko Diet-.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Thank you very much for the info. Won't help my wife's beardie much I don't think lol.

Thanks

yeah gecko diet doesn't go with beardies. lol

My bf and I just got our own beardie a month ago. I've also started a roach colony, but I didn't order quite enough HAHA so now i'm waiting for a larger shipment. Little guy blew through hundreds of nymph-y roaches in under a month. Crazy.

I use this place as a list for foods safe to feed him:
    http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bear...t.php#safevegs

and a care sheet that I found quite nice:
    http://bluuwynter.deviantart.com/jou...agon-547969310

I would also suggest joining some FB groups. I'm in Bearded dragon newbies and Bearded Dragon lovers worldwide and they are very capable of answering any questions you may have :P
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    yeah gecko diet doesn't go with beardies. lol

My bf and I just got our own beardie a month ago. I've also started a roach colony, but I didn't order quite enough HAHA so now i'm waiting for a larger shipment. Little guy blew through hundreds of nymph-y roaches in under a month. Crazy.

I use this place as a list for foods safe to feed him:
    http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bear...t.php#safevegs

and a care sheet that I found quite nice:
    http://bluuwynter.deviantart.com/jou...agon-547969310

I would also suggest joining some FB groups. I'm in Bearded dragon newbies and Bearded Dragon lovers worldwide and they are very capable of answering any questions you may have :P
    We are on beardeddragon.Org I wasn't finding a satisfactory answer to my question about roaches lighting so I searched and landed in this group.

I hope your beardie is doing well. Our was, we believe, going through brumation because she would hardly eat or drink. Was lethargic etc. However, once we got the dubia she started perking up and eats more but still not a voracious eater. Maybe she was sick when our kids picked her. They got her from PetSmart.

I am going to recommend FB groups to my wife and let her do all that lol ( shhhhhh after all it is her baby).

Any way, thank you for the info. Will look into all of it.

I believe her name on beardeddragon is Mellissia by our you want to look her up.

Thanks

This is the best Facebook page I've found:
    Reptiles, snakes, boas, pythons, other exotics, and Whatever else for Adults

Awesome group but there's a lot of pointless bashing sometimes but it comes with most groups.

I used to own beardies and they are fun but eat a lot, a mix of lots of veggies daily, dusted with a bit of calcium every other day is good. Garnished with 10-20 small meal worms so she eats the greens and the worms without noticing the worms lol. For one adult beardie I'd feed 50-70 bugs(not all at once, fed periodically or split up in meals) and like a big handful of mixed leafy greens and some other veg, a day to help keep a healthy weight.

Adults do best in a minimum of 70 gallons but the bigger is better, a 3'x2'x2' would be like heaven for a beardie. A substrate of 50/50 soil/sand mix and an slightly elevated tile or rock basking area on one side is perfect as well with a large and semi-shallow dish kept on the cool side of the tank/viv will prevent the water from evaporating too much so it'll keep the tank from having too high humidity.

A basking spot of 100-110F is best achieved by using 2 or 3 lower wattage lights clustered together to create more surface area to bask in while a single high wattage bulb offers less surface area to bask and can sometimes be unhealthy as they can heat the whole body evenly. 2 or 3 full specturm UV fluorescent lights (the really long tube bulbs are really good) over the rest of the tank/viv helps regulate D3 for proper calcium absorption and is just good overall for the health of your beardie.

I thinks that's all lol, hope I was able to help or clear anything up for you!! If you've got any more questions please feel free to ask!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Creature View Post
    This is the best Facebook page I've found:
    Reptiles, snakes, boas, pythons, other exotics, and Whatever else for Adults

Awesome group but there's a lot of pointless bashing sometimes but it comes with most groups.

I used to own beardies and they are fun but eat a lot, a mix of lots of veggies daily, dusted with a bit of calcium every other day is good. Garnished with 10-20 small meal worms so she eats the greens and the worms without noticing the worms lol. For one adult beardie I'd feed 50-70 bugs(not all at once, fed periodically or split up in meals) and like a big handful of mixed leafy greens and some other veg, a day to help keep a healthy weight.

Adults do best in a minimum of 70 gallons but the bigger is better, a 3'x2'x2' would be like heaven for a beardie. A substrate of 50/50 soil/sand mix and an slightly elevated tile or rock basking area on one side is perfect as well with a large and semi-shallow dish kept on the cool side of the tank/viv will prevent the water from evaporating too much so it'll keep the tank from having too high humidity.

A basking spot of 100-110F is best achieved by using 2 or 3 lower wattage lights clustered together to create more surface area to bask in while a single high wattage bulb offers less surface area to bask and can sometimes be unhealthy as they can heat the whole body evenly. 2 or 3 full specturm UV fluorescent lights (the really long tube bulbs are really good) over the rest of the tank/viv helps regulate D3 for proper calcium absorption and is just good overall for the health of your beardie.

I thinks that's all lol, hope I was able to help or clear anything up for you!! If you've got any more questions please feel free to ask!
    Thank you. I am looking at building a Melamine 4x2x2 with hand crafted rocks and ledges as well as a good basking spot and hidey hole or two.

I want to go with a 36" uvb and double lights for the heat aimed away from the cool side.

I am looking at a crossfire with fans to help regulate heat and fresh air.