Thread: Letting of steam, rant inside

Thanks

Default Letting of steam, rant inside

So when I moved to CA back in Jan of 2016, after a couple of months at my night job I came to realize it wasn't working for my jardy bird (my parrot). So I let her go into a temporary home by a woman who runs a rescue and is a manager at our local pet warehouse. Come December I sat down to think... we had to renew our lease which meant we weren't moving until 2018. I couldn't go without my bird soul for a whole year! So I began to figure out a way I could squeeze a decently sized play stand into our room beside my desk so she could literally spend all day with me while her cage sat in the living room.

Well, she needed a new cage. Back in spring of 2015, Jardy is what I would call a semi impulse buy. I had already bought a flight cage thinking I was going to get a cockatiel (flight cages are big but made of thinner bars than the heavy duty ones) and when I came to the pet store, jardy was there. She hated the women there, but for some reason she seemed to like me. The owners there (who have had her for 4 years since she was a chick) said that it had to be a sign. It took me months to pay off her 1500 bill but I would do it all again.

So I knew if I took her back, she would need a proper cage, as she bends the bars easily in the flight cage. No go.

So I looked at amazon.. found one I loked, ordered it... and it arrived the following Monday. Well. Most of it.

That's right, Amazon shipped me HALF a bird cage. Can't do anything with half a cage and they said it was impossible to just ship the other half. Why? I paid for it, it's my cage! So I had to go through the refund process. Except I don't have a printer and they didn't offer the "print label at ups store" option so I had to have them mail me the label... that took 2 weeks. Finally got it returned and thankfully they didn't throw a fit about it like I didn't return all of it. Would have been REALLY angry.

So I started looking at the pet stores. Petco had one on their site for roughly the same price so I ordered from them. SURELY they would do better right? Order goes in, one week goes by, nothing. Go into petco and talk to a manager, they call, say it's due to weather. OK I can understand that. And now a 2nd week has gone by. They finally charged me a couple days ago but I still haven't gotten any tracking number, and my order still says pending.... if I don't have it by next week, the following Monday I'm going in for a refund. This is absolutely ridiculous now.

All I want is to get my bird back and it's like everything is against me in this and it's very upsetting, infuriating, and I'm down to my final fuse right now. Because if petco doesn't deliver I then get to loom at a different site to find a different cage that's not ridiculously expensive. I have no problem chucking out money for a good product but when that product continues to fail.... like... come on.

For a 3ft cage, a wrought iron one is looking like an average of 400$. So whatever. But the sites I go to that specifically sell bird things and all things bird are asking almost 500 or more for them. I'm about ready to pull.my hair out I swear. Just want to curl in a corner and cry I'm so tired of this shit.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

If you don't get your cage, and you need to find a new one, what about checking craigslist? Or checking in with any bird clubs in your area?

I went through something painfully similar while trying to upgrade my Ringneck's cage. She has severely splayed legs, but its now so adept at climbing and such a good flyer, that she needed more space. After getting the run around from a couple online orders, I contacted a bird group local to me.

Had a 'new to me' (used & in great condition) cage for a fraction of the price within a couple days. Plus, the money spent went to the group for rescue efforts.

Thanks

Yeah i've been keeping an eye on craigslist, but most of the cages I find are far too small, and the ones I do find that are the size I want, are too far to drive (or extremely rusted...). Plus, the next problem I face is I live in an apartment, so if I were to buy a used cage I'd have to clean it. hot soapy water with bleach scrub down and then hosing it down is the easiest and most effective way to my knowledge to clean cages... i don't have access to a hose LOL So i'd have to clean it via many paper towels and i'd doubt the cleanliness of the cage. @_@

I've also contacted bird clubs, rescues, groups, etc. in my area as well and most of them haven't responded back to me, while the one that did was unable to help me in my search. You'd think, being in the bay area of CA... that there'd be an array of people to contact... but I've had the most rotten luck for months.

birdcages4less seems to be the popular recommendation on the parrot forum I frequent, most seem to be more expensive than the previous places I've looked... but there are no more deals to find, so if petco doesn't come through, I guess they'll be my next stop @_@ shipping is going to be insane... lol
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

Thanks

Oh man, that is super frustrating! Sorry to hear about that...I'd be going mad. I hope you find something soon, without so many hassles!

Thanks

Just a small tip - if you need an indoor hose, buy a hand-held shower head, and wash the cage in your tub or shower.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

i'd have to disassemble the cage in order to even remotely fit it in my shower, but thats a good idea if it boils down to it.
    Sovereign Reptiles

Thanks

ok so I got a call from fedex yesterday morning to schedule the delivery by Petco. So weird. I never got any emails about any tracking number... nothin o-o and even on their website when i look up my order it still says 'shipment pending' lawl... but the fedex facility has it and will be delivering it tomorrow afternoon. so thank god I'll finally get the damn cage LOL. What does suck is that now it's being delivered on a work day for me, which means I either have to put it together on days i work, or wait until next monday/tuesday to put it together. joyful hahaha but hey, at least I got it!
    Sovereign Reptiles