Thread: Chahoua handling and behaviour

Thanks

Question Chahoua handling and behaviour

Hey guys,

Well in November 2016 I bought my first Chahoua. He's mainland chahoua, his name is Loki and he's exactly 5 months old today. He weighs about 24 g. As you can tell he's pretty handsome

Name:  20161127_220735.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  94.0 KB

I think he is doing really well. Eating and drinking a lot and therefore also pooping heavily in this way I'm really happy about him.

I've got one concern and that's what I want to ask you guys about. During the day he is always hidden, which I think is normal as he is a nocturn animal. It's just I read a lot of threads and many people said that chahouas are very curious and active. So is this just his personality or should I worry?
    And second thing. He is scared of human hand. I'm trying to get him used to me by taking him out and walk on my hands for a while. About 3x times a week. It's a problem because he always wants to hide when I'm taking him out. After I get him out he looks calm. He is crawling and jumping and even resting on my finger sometimes even for about an hour comfortably.

Name:  20161217_113251.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  73.4 KB

So my question is, should I try to handle him more frequently? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Yes and I'm feeding him dusted crickets and sometimes flies when I manage to catch one the temperature in terrarium is 80F in the hottest spot and about 70F in the coolest. And also I spray him 2x a day.

Thank you for all you responds and advices.

Thanks

I want to say that all chahoua have different personalities when it comes to handling, from my experience. I have a ML who will, when he realizes I don't have bugs to feed, will dash away into the cage (I give up at that point) and tends to be very spazzy when I do hold him. My older PI, however, lets me pluck him from wherever and just sits like a lump on my hand. I handle about once a week for my older chahoua. During the day, all of mine hide, the babies more so than the adults.

Thanks

Chewies are great little guys, congrats on yours! It sounds like the range of normal behavior. I find that chahoua sometimes are more like leachies in that they can get territorial of their enclosure and will behave differently when you are trying to interact in there vs after you get them out. I also have found this to be true for some of my cresties but not to the extent of the bigger species. I usually don't recommend "gentling" them by keeping your hand in there and trying to get them used to you in their first. IMO it seems to stress them out more than quickly removing and then handling out of enclosure.

How long had you had this guy? He could also just be nervous of the new situation. You may find that he mellows over time and comes out more, and they all seem to have their own personality. Chewies also seem pretty smart, and seem to make associations faster than cresties, especially with food reward. With one of mine, he seemed to catch on after about two weeks that when the big hand takes him out, he soon will have a bug feast, so he tends to hang out at the entrance when he sees me, lol. He still doesn't like much fussing with him inside his enclosure, but he is much more eager to come out, and is then such a sweetie when being handling.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Helped a lot and calmed me I guess it just his personality as you both stated.

As I said, I got him in about 2 months ago but I moved him to a new enclosure 20 days ago. This might be the case.

And about those bug feasts, could you tell me how do you feed him outside his cage? I wanted to try the same thing, grab him out and feed him so he can associate my hand with getting food. But he doesn't show any interest in crickets running around him when he is out. Always eats just one cricket and then starts to behave like there are no other around him. But when back inside he hunts them like crazy. I'll try get him more hungry and then it could work.

I'll see what I can do. I'll keep working on him and see what fellow he will grow into.

Again, thank you for your help.

Thanks

Just consistently offer, over time he will likely get more into it. I find these guys love bugs so much that it helps them eventually get over nervousness, but If he still prefers to eat in the safety of this own place that is no big deal and part of his personality!

as for feeding, I put dubia in a glass candle holder. smaller guys get small tealight ones, I have some with higher sides I got from Ikea I use when roaches get bigger so they can't get on top of another and reach the edge. Here is my juvenile male PI eating, he is getting promoted to a couple bigger bugs so am using the taller glass here:

Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFu For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (01-19-2017)

Thanks

My Urmel is hiding really well on most days, making my pet sitters freak out regularly .

At night, he sometimes comes to the front of the cage and is scratching the door, which I take as begging for insects. He is also usually OK with being taken out when he acts like that, though I doubt he is really begging for my attention. I have not seen him act territorial yet, but he is a little nervous when being handled right now, and he will not eat bugs outside his cage like he used to.
    I think this has to do with me traveling a lot in the last few weeks, and before that my sick crestie Jack got all my attention. So Urmel has not been handled much.

Anyway, they all have their own little personalities and quirks. At the moment my female crestie Pumpkin is by far the most outgoing and curious of my gang of three. I also see her stalk roaches like a cat when she is hunting them (typical chewie behavior).
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)