Thread: Baby Crested Advice

Thanks

Default Baby Crested Advice

Okay....so

I have a baby crested. And by baby I mean like. 1-2 grams and smaller than my pinky finger.

when I first got them, they had just shed most of their skin- but the toes will NOT shed. It's still stuck, no matter what I do. I've tried damp Q-tips, letting them walk across damp paper towels and then using damp q-tips, I've tried adjusting the humidity. o_o no dice. Stuck-shed-toes.

So naturally, they can't stick to *anything* (and they do try!) so yesterday they climbed up on a branch, tried to jump at the acrylic wall of the enclosure, and fell right to the floor! ><;

They curled up in a dark corner on the floor and haven't moved from that spot all night. They're still responsive if I reach in and pet them, and they're looking around and breathing, but it's like they scared themselves so bad they don't want anything to do with coming out of that little corner.

In addition to this, I noticed when I first brought them home that their bottom jaw very slightly protrudes farther than the upper jaw, and almost comes to a point. Is that normal for a baby, or do they have an underbite? o_O

Thanks

You can do the "sauna" to get rid of stuck shed.Type in youtube "crested gecko bath" and jb will show you how to.Shedding is often a concern with hatchlings.People used to handle baby geckos once a week when you clean their habitat but they need more time cause everything is new to them so if they walk in your hand on their own free will its ok but if they don't want to then no need to force it.As for the underbite like thing maybe as he/she grows it will be gone.Time will tell.I saw a gecko that borned with 1 leg shorter then the others.

Thanks

Hey. Getting rid of the stuck shed should move but do not be in such a hurry to force anything. The protruding jaw may be due to genetics. If it is not affecting it in anything i wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks

The only reason I'm concerned about the shed being stuck on the toes is that he can't stick to anything or climb. If that's not an issue, then I won't worry about it.

Thanks

Stuck shed on the toes can lead to your gecko losing them because the skin will dry and restrict blood circulation. I would be worried especially if it's a baby. Keep trying!