Thread: Female or Male as a First Crested Gecko

Thanks

Cool Female or Male as a First Crested Gecko

H there,

What are all of your opinions on this? I will soon be a first time Crested owner and am wondering if I should get a male or a female? The idea of having a female laying eggs, having a nesting box etc.. makes me nervous. Is that actually really easy to deal with? Either way, they will be a single gecko, living on their own.

Please give me your opinions!

Thanks,
    Bella

Thanks

If it will be just a pet, you might want to go with a male. Like you mentioned, you don't have to worry about egglaying and related calcium crashes or eggbinding (but still need to make sure a boy has sufficient nutrition), and boys tend to be cheaper. I have not noticed any difference in temperament between males or females. Downside is sometimes boys like the hand....like really like it, even without a girl around to smell
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Haha!! Okay, thank you for your suggestion!!! (:

Thanks

I would also get a boy. An unsexed hatchling can be a little tough to raise as a first gecko -- which is exactly what I did, of course. Well, she survived me :-). I would recommend a minimum weight of around 10 g, which is generally sexable, at least for the boys.
    My boys (a crestie and a chahoua) are both very sweet and have neither shown territorial behavior nor any 'special interest' in my hands. So far :-).
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

See, for myself I would probably get a female. But, the egg laying and nest box stuff doesn't bother me, so the egg binding would be my only concern, but the male problems pretty much levels out... IMO though. I also have never had any problems with males trying to mate with my hand, but one ma,e is only 20 some grams and the other is 30 some grams. Also, my males poops stink terribly and my female poop has no smell.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    Also, my males poops stink terribly and my female poop has no smell.
    Haha, not to make this a thread about poop, but I only have one male and one female crestie, and Pumpkin (the female) drops really smelly little bombs, while Jack makes almost odorless pellets. He just dropped a fresh one into my hand this evening, and it was quite inoffensive :-). I think it has more to do with diet and gut flora. Pumpkin would only eat insects if I let her, and I found especially a lot of wax worms lead to smelly droppings. On the other hand, Jack is eating only Pangea and BPZ at the moment, has been on antibiotics for a long time, and recently a round of probiotics (Benebac pet gel). Maybe that is why he has 'good' poop .
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    Haha, not to make this a thread about poop, but I only have one male and one female crestie, and Pumpkin (the female) drops really smelly little bombs, while Jack makes almost odorless pellets. He just dropped a fresh one into my hand this evening, and it was quite inoffensive :-). I think it has more to do with diet and gut flora. Pumpkin would only eat insects if I let her, and I found especially a lot of wax worms lead to smelly droppings. On the other hand, Jack is eating only Pangea and BPZ at the moment, has been on antibiotics for a long time, and recently a round of probiotics (Benebac pet gel). Maybe that is why he has 'good' poop .
    Lol.. Yeah, it prob has to do with what they eat, however mine all eat the same thing. My female can poop on me and I can wear it all day (trust me though, I don't lol) but as soon as one of the males goes potty *bam*! It stinks so bad and it makes me gag. Lol..

But, less talk about poop lol.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS