Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Crested Ovulating?

Thanks

Exclamation Female Crested Ovulating?

Hiya, I've attached an image to this thread and would love some input. This is my first crested gecko, and I'd like some help figuring out if she's just thin, or if she may be gravid/ovulating. She was housed with another crestie at the store I adopted her from, and I have no idea if it was a male, though I have a strong feeling it was. She shed last night and ate half of a small feeder cup of PFMC. I'm really hoping she's just a bit thin, but I feel like for being thin, she's also got some roundness in the belly area. Thoughts?Name:  IMG_4280.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  86.7 KB

Thanks

Yeah she just looks really thin. I'd keep her on paper towel till shes big and healthy. A gravid gecko will be like a really fat pear lol. Provide a lay box of sphagnum peat moss just incase she does lay any duds though
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Thank you, Last_Creature! You certainly have eased my mind haha I appreciate it!

Thanks

You're welcome! Glad I could help
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

thegrymzoo (01-26-2017)

Thanks

I agree with last creature. She just looks thin.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

thegrymzoo (01-26-2017)

Thanks

Yes, she does look thin. I would have a fecal sample checked by a vet, to see if she has any parasites. Her pet store history makes that all the more likely.
    It is a good sign that she has a good appetite. Do you have a gram scale to monitor her weight?
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucia For This Useful Post:

thegrymzoo (01-26-2017)

Thanks

That's true :/ Though I gotta say, it did look like the animals were very well cared for (she was from a reptile specialty shop rather than a PetCo type of store), aside from the guy who "packaged" her for me telling me cresteds should be fed mainly crickets.
    She's got a great appetite! I haven't had her for a full week yet, so my untrained eye thought that urates were poo - she's "done"? a lot of urates, and a clear liquid that I thought was urine, but I haven't seen poo. Is this a concern? She's eaten CGD twice very heartily, and her shed once since being here. Or could I maybe just be missing spotting it in the Eco Earth she's been on?
    I'm going out tomorrow and will be looking for a scale, if I can't find one I already have one in my Amazon cart to order!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thegrymzoo View Post
    That's true :/ Though I gotta say, it did look like the animals were very well cared for (she was from a reptile specialty shop rather than a PetCo type of store), aside from the guy who "packaged" her for me telling me cresteds should be fed mainly crickets.
    She's got a great appetite! I haven't had her for a full week yet, so my untrained eye thought that urates were poo - she's "done"? a lot of urates, and a clear liquid that I thought was urine, but I haven't seen poo. Is this a concern? She's eaten CGD twice very heartily, and her shed once since being here. Or could I maybe just be missing spotting it in the Eco Earth she's been on?
    I'm going out tomorrow and will be looking for a scale, if I can't find one I already have one in my Amazon cart to order!
    It is great that there are good pet stores out there! Still I would be careful, because pet stores often do not have animals for very long (less than recommended quarantine periods), and they also sell wild caught reptiles that can harbor a lot of parasites. A fecal exam does not cost much and it is also a good exercise to establish contact with a good reptile vet. With my geckos I have experienced both pinworms and coccidia, the former presenting as lack of growth despite good appetite, the latter leading to a decreased appetite. However, these symptoms alone are in no way diagnostic, and waiting for characteristic symptoms can sometimes cost your gecko's life (e. g. with coccidia). So in my opinion a fecal is totally worth it! And it is also great you are getting a scale .

About the poop: if she is eating well and not pooping for over a week, that may be a sign of impaction. Her belly is quite round, but for now I would just keep monitoring her.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

That's so scary! I hope your geckos are alright now?
    I'll definitely call and ask about getting a fecal done - thank you, Lucia!

Thanks

Yes, they are alright now, thank you for asking! Pumpkin just experienced an enormous growth spurt after I treated her pinworms. Jack's coccidia infection was a different matter. He was in and out of the vet's office for 6 months, but he seems finally healthy (just submitted the last fecal yesterday). I am lucky to have access to great vet care at Texas A&M, though. I even get 20 % off as an A&M employee myself :-).

Edit, since I just got the invoice via e-mail: A fecal at my vet costs $12, or $9.60 with employee discount. I do not know what it costs elsewhere, but it is usually quite affordable if you do not have a lot of geckos to test individually. Medication cost me around $0.50 each time for pinworms, and $ 5.00 for the coccidia medication (which would have been ~$300 if I had not gotten it from the vet, because then I would have had to buy a dose for a horse). So it does not have to be expensive to treat your gecko, and sometimes the vet can also help you save money on medication.
    Last edited by Lucia; 01-26-2017 at 10:59 PM.