Thread: Handling Baby Crested Geckos

Thanks

Default Handling Baby Crested Geckos

I have had two adorable babies for about a month now. I gave them 2-3 weeks to chill out and get used to the new place. I have since started handling. Honestly it's been going really well. I'm just patient and I help guide them onto my hand. Once they are on the hand and realize I'm not here to hurt them they relax and be their hoppity lil' selves. I only handle them for about 15 minutes and then return them to their enclosure. My question is if it's okay to do a daily 15 minute handling. They do not seem stressed in that they still eat, they climb around as normal and aside from when I go to pick them up they are not flighty at all. I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. After all it's not like they can tell me something is bothering them . Oh and how I can tell they've calmed down on my hand is they slow down and lick at my hand, their eyeballs, etc... I remember reading that geckos when relaxed will seek to taste their environment and just chill aside from doing their hopping thing.

Thanks

Congrats on getting your two scaly babies!
    As long as you watch for signs of stress and your geckos are otherwise doing well, I think you can keep handling your geckos as you do.
    Are you keeping the two together? If yes, you should also watch for signs of stress due to fighting/bullying, and be ready to separate them if they both turn out to be male, or even male and female (you don;t want to breed the female too young, or have the male try to mate with her constantly).
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Right now I am keeping them together in a 12x12x18 enclosure. They do not appear to fight or bully each other at all. They will often hang out/sleep next to each other but largely do their own thing and keep to their own. I will definitely be separating them regardless because they are from the same clutch. I did learn that they could breed early and I certainly would not want that for obvious reasons. Aside from not eating are there any subtle signs of stress I should watch out for?
    Thanks so much for your reply!

Thanks

I have mine since 4 days now and i feel the progress is fast but with no problems at all.First day i only handled him because i took him out of the box to check him for the first time and he was calm.Then i put him into hes new home.Gave him Repashy from a stick and i know i should have let him eat on hes own first before hand feeding so i did.Next day he started shedding and when it was done i had to check it if there are no remains of shed but i only took him out for a minute and luckily he had a perfect shed.Third day morning i saw he licked half of the food out of the bottle cap so hes eating and he even left a gift on the lower parts of the vine ... And on 4th day i upgraded hes home so i took out everything to do a full clean and to schedule cleaning for weekends and i handled him first time for 5 minutes.I checked hes weight (18g) did the hand walk,did the hand jumps and he licked my hand a few times.He never tryed to escape or runaway and looking at hes breathing he was calm.Hes 6 months old but i guess he was handled before me and thats why hes friendly and less stressed.Sorry for writing a book xD but its hard not to talk about them but my point was that when to start handling a gecko depends on many things.I heard owners handling them since first time and everything is perfect and some owners after 3 weeks they still try to run away from the big hand.Every gecko has a different personality.

Thanks

And for an awesome update I took my smallest baby out for a little handling today, Niele, and she ate food off of my finger! That was amazing, the trust! All I did was dip my finger in the repashy and bring it to her nose, she started licking almost immediately. Now she's settled in for a little nap and I am the happiest crestie mom right now

By the way, I know it is too early to tell gender, I just feel Niele is a girl. Not sure about Kunia, though.