Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cresty owner

Thanks

Default New cresty owner

Hi everyone.
    Im a new crested gecko owner.I did weeks of research before i bought him and now hes finaly in my home.Hes 6 months old.My setup is mostly exo terra stuff.30x30x45cm terrarium with 4-5 fake plants,tree cork,dinosaur egg fossil,jungle vine,analog hydro and temp meter and paper towel for few weeks.Room temperature is between 21-25 Celsius and 70-90% humidity at night and in the morning but i let it go down to 50% in mid day cause everyone said only mist once in the morning a twice at night cause a dry out period is needed too so 80% humidity is not something that must be maintained all time.I know i have to wait with handling but i did handle him when he came out of the box after coming home to introduce ourselfs but he was friendly.Licked my finger and did the handwalk but not away from me instead toward me like he saw me as a big tree and then i put him in hes new home i mentioned.He explored a bit and then went into hiding and mostly spends time sleeping.He did eat first day but ofc not on hes own but licked the repashy cgd off of a stick i put in front of him.Do they rly spend most time hiding and sleeping?No problem for me as long as its normal from them.He seems happy looking at hes stiff tail cause i know they go S tail if hes angry but hes not.I plan feeding him crickets twice a month and ofc separatly in a cricket/breeding box and after he hits at least 15g i will go plantation soil with moss on top.Sooo will i be a good owner?Looking at hes habitat hes spoiled and he will have many places to hide,climb and sleep.Ofc i want to ask a lot of questions cause even tough Im 27 year old i feel like a young kid with hes first pet and im nervous.Oh by the way i named him Nero.For some reason it suits him :P

Thanks

sounds good to me! yes they do most of their day time sleeping, mine loves to hide very well in the leaves and most times she hangs upside down right next to where i sleep ( her tank is on a shelf above my bed ) my cresty is a sweet little girl and i was planning to wait 2 weeks before handling but when i went to open the cage yesterday she wanted to come out and so i let her out and held her for a bit, super sweet gal loves to sleep on me too! (: You seem like youll be a great gecko parent! (: welcome to the forums and congrats on your crestie!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to milkykitty For This Useful Post:

Darkcore (01-27-2017)

Thanks

And here are some more questions.How often they rly eat?How long does 85g Repashy lasts for?How often should i clean or full clean hes habitat?When i start using plantation soil how often must i change it out?

Thanks

Thank you for the fast reply i think i will be a little impatient cause waiting 1-2weeks without handling is like forever

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcore View Post
    And here are some more questions.How often they rly eat?How long does 85g Repashy lasts for?How often should i clean or full clean hes habitat?When i start using plantation soil how often must i change it out?
    - My gecko eats every night, i put the food out about 9pm and she usualy eats most of it, it depends on the gecko honestly, some eat more than others (:
    - depends on how much your gecko eats!
    - once a week at least. not sure about plantation soil though, if not using for live tank id say once a week.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to milkykitty For This Useful Post:

Darkcore (01-27-2017)

Thanks

Thank you for the answers.For now he rather licks repashy from a stick then to find the bottlecap filled with it.Guess he needs time since only 1day has past and in time he will start exploring more but for now he rather sleep behind leaves and chill till he gets sequred enough to start roaming.The only thing i still need is a magnetic feeding dish.For now i formed a circle on the top end of the jungle vine and i put a bottlecap in it as dish.

Thanks

It can take over a week for a new crestie to start eating. Moving to a new place is very stressful for them. Also don't feed from a stick often, it can make them not feed on their own.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Orchidilia For This Useful Post:

Darkcore (01-27-2017)

Thanks

My baby eats almost every other day or every two days depending on how much he ate last. He's only two months old so it doesnt take much for him to fill up. I agree that you shouldn't feed from a stick cause he'll grow to depend on that and won't eat on his own. If you just leave the food in the enclosure your crestie will eat. Don't worry if it's not right away. He will eat if he's hungry and food is available they won't starve themselves. My crestie didn't eat for 4 days after I got him but I wasn't worried I knew he would eventually. I have hand fed a few times since I've had him but he still eats on his own too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Roro27 For This Useful Post:

Darkcore (01-27-2017)

Thanks

Thanks.Now I'm calm.If they won't starve themselves when there is food near them,i won't hand feed at all until they go for it themselves

Thanks

Reptiles can go for a long time without eating, they are very efficient with using energy. If the temperature in the tank is cooler it can cause them to eat less as well, almost like hibernating. Warmth = higher metabolism. As long as your gecko doesn't loose weight then it is fine even if it doesn't seem to eat much.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Orchidilia For This Useful Post:

Darkcore (01-28-2017)