Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange pupil

Thanks

Default Strange pupil

Hi, I bought this gitl as a unsexed Baby. She seems to totally normal.

Now I recognized she stats walking with its head on the floor.
    She has a strange pupil?! Anyone has seen something like this? It looks like missing the top of the pupil...?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  31.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1340.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  79.0 KB
    Greetings

Thanks

could be a genetic deformity, could also be an eye injury. My first step would be an exotics vet. Not sure about the head placement, it could be due to having limited sight in that eye so she/he holds his head at an odd angle in order to see, or... again... injury/genetic defect.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

it is in both eyes
    Name:  IMG_8050.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  79.3 KB

When she was young she walked and jumped normal.
    I guess it's something genetically or mutation while incubation.
    Looks like the eyes is twisted and the bottomof the eyeball is hidden.

She's healthy and feeds well.

I was wondering if this happend to someone too?

Thanks

I personally have never seen this before. But it looks like a genetic defect to me. But if she seems totally normal other wise and it doesn't seem to be in any discomfort I wouldn't worry to much. But just to be 100% sure I would suggest a possible vet check up. She is really pretty btw And im actually getting in contact with a reptile guy to see if he knows what this is or if he has seen if before. Im super curious to see what this is as well. So if he gets back to me i will post another comment here and let you know what he says
    1. Dog ~Odie~6. Fish ~Iron Man~ Butter Cup~ Lance~ Private Pinky~ Thing One~ Thing Two~1. Crested Gecko ~Egg Roll~1. Corn Snake ~Pumpkin~2. Snails ~Timmy~ Ivan~ And RIP to 1.Cat~India~ 2. Fire Bellied Toads~Kate~Dave~ 1. Snail~Gary~ 2. Turtles~Red Eared Slider & Yellow Bellied

Thanks

Never seen this before... But boy, is she precious!

Thanks

To me it looks less like deformed pupils but rather rotated eyeballs. The eye muscles could have grown asymmetrically as your gecko grew, and she effectively became cross-eyed. I think it is likely she tries to see better by adjusting her head posture. I would show her to a vet, but I doubt there is much that can be done about it. She may adapt and live with her eyesight as it is.
    She is very pretty, and the cross-eyedness is somewhat cute, but I hope it does not cause her any discomfort.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucia For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (01-25-2017)

Thanks

I agree with Lucia.
    1. Dog ~Odie~6. Fish ~Iron Man~ Butter Cup~ Lance~ Private Pinky~ Thing One~ Thing Two~1. Crested Gecko ~Egg Roll~1. Corn Snake ~Pumpkin~2. Snails ~Timmy~ Ivan~ And RIP to 1.Cat~India~ 2. Fire Bellied Toads~Kate~Dave~ 1. Snail~Gary~ 2. Turtles~Red Eared Slider & Yellow Bellied

Thanks

What is a little strange is the white thing at the bottom of each pupil, though (best seen in the front view of both eyes). It looks like skin. And the ring of skin around her eyes also looks somewhat narrow. It could be that because of that, the skin around the eyes is constricting the eyes and pushing them in an unusual position.

This would be weird, but if her eye position is caused by the skin, it could be very well treatable with some minor surgery. Untreated it could be very painful .

But it could as well be that the skin around the eyes just covers more of the eyes because they are rotated and pulled further into the skull than normal. Conventional cross-eyedness still seems the most likely, but there are other potentially painful conditions (like constriction by skin or bone), and a vet will help you to exclude that.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

If it is appearing in both eyes, I'd also go with genetic deformity. It probably isn't causing any pain, but I would recommend a vet visit just to be safe.
    2.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus

Thanks

I agree, think it's a genetic deformity, but just to be sure get it checked by an expert as you'll also feel more at ease. Hope everything turns out just fine.