Thread: Not eating insects

Thanks

Default Not eating insects

I have a mainland chewie who is 1.5 years old, I've had him for a few months, and he shows almost no interest in insects. I feed him Pangea watermelon and the mix with insects, both of which he likes. I've tried offering him crickets (of all sizes), waxworms, and phoenix worms, and he's only eaten the occasional cricket which was after I didn't give him Pangea for a couple days. I've even mashed up the bugs and let him lick the guts, which he doesn't seem to like very much.

He's 4.5 inches snout-to-vent and weighs 45 grams. I feel like he could be a bit bigger, but he's stopped growing. He isn't showing any signs of MBD that I can tell. He is active and fine with handling.

His enclosure is 12x12x18 inches and I keep it around 72-76 F. Mist until humidity is 90 for the night, then let it drop to 60 during the day.

Should I be worried? Should I keep trying to get him to eat insects somehow?

Thanks

I would keep offering insects, but I do not see a reason to be worried if he eats Pangea and is a healthy weight without signs of a calcium deficiency.
    My chewie is just the opposite: he prefers insects over anything else, but he is a Pine Isle and just over a year old, so he is still growing.

You could still try some dubia roaches, which my geckos prefer even over wax worms (could also have to do with using good gut loads). Sometimes dubia are sold in small quantities at Petsmart (I think the Vitabugs brand), but you can also buy them online (I buy mine from west coast roaches). Dubia are much less of a hassle than crickets, at least in my opinion.

If you want to add some more insect protein to your gecko's diet, I recommend the BPZ diets in addition to Pangea w/ Insects. Melonistic with black soldier fly larvae is a hit with my three geckos.

As a side note: I think 12x12x18 is a bit small for a fully grown chahoua, I would upgrade him to a bigger enclosure, if possible. My chewie is about the same size as yours is at the moment, and he makes full use of his 18x18x30 tank.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    As a side note: I think 12x12x18 is a bit small for a fully grown chahoua, I would upgrade him to a bigger enclosure, if possible. My chewie is about the same size as yours is at the moment, and he makes full use of his 18x18x30 tank.
    You're right, he should have a bigger tank. Do you think 18x18x24 is big enough?.

Thanks

I think 18x18x24 is a fine size. ML tend to be a bit smaller than PI as well, so I think it should work. As for buggos, I wouldn't worry too much as long as he's eating something. For my shyer chahoua (usually the babies), I will leave the dubia in a small tealight holder in their cage. They clean out their dishes by morning! Some geckos it takes a little bit of patience to accept feeders. I know I had my gargoyle a good 7 months before she decided to eat them.

Thanks

Yes, 18x18x24 is fine. The main reason Urmel is in an 18x18x30 is that the tank came in that size :-). Of course I am also hoping my pocket dinosaur grows BIG!
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)