Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh my... When a chicken is stuck on the Walmart roof, you know who to call!

Thanks

Default Oh my... When a chicken is stuck on the Walmart roof, you know who to call!

Okay so I need help finding out what breed this chicken is... My grandma says a Branty Chicken, but I'm not so sure lol.

Here's the story- my mom was at work (Walmart) while there was a chicken on the roof. The police got called and there were many other employees outside "watching" the chicken. No one, not even the police would go up and get the poor thing, who was up there for at least three hours (we have an ice storm going on, so it's quite cold out) and so while my mom was on her 15 min break, she got a ladder and climbed up on the roof and got the chick. She then drove it home real quick and had to go back to work.

So, if any of you have experience with chickens and know what *she* is, please do tell! Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Also, how do you sex them?

Edit: so, I just realized that branties or the base breed and there is a bunch of Branty breeds, so my guess is the Houdan.

Sorry for the sucky pic, I just don't want to disturb her. If you need a better one, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Hard to tell from the pic. But from initial appearances it could be an Icelandic hen.

I have quite a bit of experience with chickens from several breeds so if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to help.

A picture in better light would help. Also an estimation of size and weight.

Ask for sexing with adult chickens it is quite easy. One of the easiest ways to tell is to look and the neck, hackle, and tail feathers. Hens have softer rounded feathers while roos have shiny or more pointed feathers. This is true in all except the sebright Bantam breeds which I can tell you for 100% assurity that the one you have is not a sebright. Roos also typically have larger Combs and wattles as well as the

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFan1 View Post
    Hard to tell from the pic. But from initial appearances it could be an Icelandic hen.

I have quite a bit of experience with chickens from several breeds so if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to help.

A picture in better light would help. Also an estimation of size and weight.

Ask for sexing with adult chickens it is quite easy. One of the easiest ways to tell is to look and the neck, hackle, and tail feathers. Hens have softer rounded feathers while roos have shiny or more pointed feathers. This is true in all except the sebright Bantam breeds which I can tell you for 100% assurity that the one you have is not a sebright. Roos also typically have larger Combs and wattles as well as the

Okay, I'll take a better picture. She is not heavy what so ever- ver light and small. Super soft and friendly. I'll try to get the length/hight and weight.

I don't really have any paticular questions, as I don't know what to ask, so any basic info would help a lot. What do they eat? Lol.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Okay here are better pictures I hope. I *tried* to measure her, but she may or may not have had a flight around the room, and we're not doing that again, or atleast until I know how to handle her better. She is about as tall as a 3 oz. jar, not exactly that size, but near it. http://m.imgur.com/gallery/eM4zZ
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I am also a member here.
    www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    You can learn everything you need to know here. Chickens are easy to care for and as long as their basic needs are met they will live several years. But for them to thrive and be healthy their is some stuff you will need to know.

Of course she will need a source of water and food to start with. They are omnivores and will eat almost anything but some stuff is not good for them. Greens, grass, grains (do not feed rice), and insects make up the majority of the diet. You can buy a pellet or mash that will fulfill a lot of the nutritional need at your local feed or pet store most likely. You can also get scratch feed along with the pellets if you want. They like it. Fresh fruit and leafy vegetables are great for them. As a treat if you have dried millworms she will love you lol. But they are a treat and not the main diet.

She will also need a place to roost that is safe and secure up off the ground. Predators will grab them off the roost if they can get to them. If you are going to keep her I'd recommend building a coop and run. That way she has a place to exercise and sleep safe from predators. Also chickens do best in a flock. On their own they can become stressed and that can lead to sickness.

Thanks

I am also a member here.
    www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    You can learn everything you need to know here. Chickens are easy to care for and as long as their basic needs are met they will live several years. But for them to thrive and be healthy their is some stuff you will need to know.

Of course she will need a source of water and food to start with. They are omnivores and will eat almost anything but some stuff is not good for them. Greens, grass, grains (do not feed rice), and insects make up the majority of the diet. You can buy a pellet or mash that will fulfill a lot of the nutritional need at your local feed or pet store most likely. You can also get scratch feed along with the pellets if you want. They like it. Fresh fruit and leafy vegetables are great for them. As a treat if you have dried millworms she will love you lol. But they are a treat and not the main diet.

She will also need a place to roost that is safe and secure up off the ground. Predators will grab them off the roost if they can get to them. If you are going to keep her I'd recommend building a coop and run. That way she has a place to exercise and sleep safe from predators. Also chickens do best in a flock. On their own they can become stressed and that can lead to sickness.

Thank you so much!!! Any idea on what breed she is?
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to ask one of my friends that's done more with ornamental breeds and see if he knows. She looks familiar though I just can't place her.
    I have personally had orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, gold sex link, black breasted game, silver sebrights, silkies, white leghorns and black australorps.

Thanks

OK this is what we have come up with. To the best of our knowledge you have a silky X Bantam game cross.
    The dark eyes, black skin, feathered crest and shanks are silkie characteristics. There also seems to be some primitive feathering occurring in the crest and possibly hackle in the pics that are also silkie traits, the primitive feathers is a somewhat recessive trait so the majority of the feathers being fully intact would come from the other parent. The body structure tail shape and posture are in line with the game birds. The small size would point to that game being a bantam variety.

How many toes does she have? If she has 5 that is also a silkie trait but she could also have the standard 4 from the other parent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFan1 For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (01-15-2017)

Thanks

OK this is what we have come up with. To the best of our knowledge you have a silky X Bantam game cross.
    The dark eyes, black skin, feathered crest and shanks are silkie characteristics. There also seems to be some primitive feathering occurring in the crest and possibly hackle in the pics that are also silkie traits, the primitive feathers is a somewhat recessive trait so the majority of the feathers being fully intact would come from the other parent. The body structure tail shape and posture are in line with the game birds. The small size would point to that game being a bantam variety.

How many toes does she have? If she has 5 that is also a silkie trait but she could also have the standard 4 from the other parent.

thank you so much! and tell you friend I said thanks. Ill check in the morning to see how may toes.

edit: what about a Spitzhauben (cross) ?
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I would doubt that. The crest configuration, skin color, leg length, and posture does not seem to fit with that breed well.

They are a nice breed though and have several similar characteristics.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFan1 For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (01-15-2017)