Thread: Ice storm- expecting power outs-

Thanks

Default Ice storm- expecting power outs-

So we are expecting an ice storm. They say it will be the waste in 10 years in our area. It is possible for power outages. I was just thinking, what would I do with the gex if the power did go out for a long period of time? Cuddle with them so they get our body heat? Put a blanket over the cage? Nothing? Of course, if it only went out for a couple o minutes, that won't hurt, but I want to be prepared.

Last night the news said we should start getting ice above t midnight.... It's the next day at 4 pm and only had a tad bit of rain- no ice at all. The news still says it's coming, but last week they said were gonna have one but never did. I love cold weather and snow and ice and would love for an ice storm, but for the geckos sake, I hope it passes.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I bought a supply of hand-warmers that I can wrap in towels and put in the bottom of their tank, if we lose power for several hours. It's always a good possibility here in a Wisconsin winter, so I wanted to be prepared also!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    I bought a supply of hand-warmers that I can wrap in towels and put in the bottom of their tank, if we lose power for several hours. It's always a good possibility here in a Wisconsin winter, so I wanted to be prepared also!
    Hey thanks! I didn't think of that.

The only thing that came to mind was to just put them in KKs and load them up in a car with the heat running.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Handwarmers and mylar blankets loosely over the top to trap in heat (but still some airflow). At the worst, deli cup them and keep on your person - but between outerwear so they don't get too hot. This is where generators can come in handy, but as I can't have them at my place, I have as backup two deep-cycle batteries (marine/RV) with inverter and also a charger for them - this can run my fridge/freezer, small heater, and a couple lights.

BTW, if you run your car for heat MAKE SURE that your exhaust pipe is dug out of any snow first! Deaths happen every year from this, around here last year a dad was digging out the driveway with wife and baby warming in the car, he came back and they were gone As you are just expecting ice not as likely, but that is my PSA for the day.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFu For This Useful Post:

TAD (01-13-2017)