Thread: Getting 2 new geckos, have some questions + morph ID

Thanks

Default Getting 2 new geckos, have some questions + morph ID

Hello! I am getting 2 crested geckos this weekend from someone on Craigslist. The geckos seem healthy and are in an adequate sized cage but I have a few questions about their care.
    1. They are currently housed together, and have been for the last 6 years. One is male, one female. I'm not interested in breeding right now, how do I prevent breeding without separating them? Should I just separate them as soon as I get them?
    2. They are currently on a diet of fruit. I haven't heard this recommended before. How do I change their diet to something more sustainable?
    3. Their tank currently has a heat pad on the side. Would this be an adequate way to prevent temperature drops?
    4. Can anyone help me with their morphs? I'm relatively new to the idea of all the different morphs and am unsure of why they could be.
    Thanks for the help!
    5. Do they have good structure?
    My geckos:
    https://imgur.com/a/Tt47Y

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tygtrz View Post
    Hello! I am getting 2 crested geckos this weekend from someone on Craigslist. The geckos seem healthy and are in an adequate sized cage but I have a few questions about their care.
    1. They are currently housed together, and have been for the last 6 years. One is male, one female. I'm not interested in breeding right now, how do I prevent breeding without separating them? Should I just separate them as soon as I get them?
    2. They are currently on a diet of fruit. I haven't heard this recommended before. How do I change their diet to something more sustainable?
    3. Their tank currently has a heat pad on the side. Would this be an adequate way to prevent temperature drops?
    4. Can anyone help me with their morphs? I'm relatively new to the idea of all the different morphs and am unsure of why they could be.
    Thanks for the help!
    5. Do they have good structure?
    My geckos:
    https://imgur.com/a/Tt47Y
    1. there is no way to prevent them from breeding other then seperting thm. Yes, seperate them asap.
    2. they should be on pangea or repashy CGD. I would just get one of these and put it in there cage and just cut out the fruit. they can have certain fruits once a month or so for treats.
    3. if the temp stays between 65 at night/in the winter and 69-78 during the day/summer, then do extra heat needed. I recommend removing the pad and using a space heater if heat is needed.
    4. they are both flames with dalmatian spots. the female, however, could possibly be a brindle flame. and the male has knee caps and fringe.

congrats! they are cute. have fun with them.. p.s theyre ADDICTIVE!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

If they are already together there may be a chance that they have already bred and she will lay eggs. These geckos can hold onto sperm for a long time and a single mating can result in months of fertile eggs. I would separate them as soon as you get them and just hope any eggs she lays aren't fertile.

Thanks

I shall answer the question that lovelyanddekstest did not.
    Do they have good structure. "Good" structure depends on the person. Many breeders define good stucture as a large head and wide dorsal. Your yellow gal looks to have okay head structure. Her dorsal is pretty thin, but becomes a bit wider as it progresses toward her tail. Your brown boy looks to have a good sized head, but a very thin dorsal. Overall, I wouldn't say they have very good structure, but that is determined by the viewer. Depending on your views, they can have amazing structure or very poor structure. That's all determined by you.
    Last edited by ducksrule101; 01-05-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling error