Thread: Male Geckos

Thanks

Lightbulb Male Geckos

I've been wondering recently if all male geckos are territorial around each other. I know that this is definitely true, and I'm not putting a male and male together at all, I was just interested.

So have any of you observed behaviors of males being *friendly* to one another? If not, how do your males react seeing other males?

Thanks for humoring me, I was just curious!
    Crested Geckos are the cutest things EVER!

Thanks

Temps, light, feeding and the presence of females can have an impact on male to male aggression. It is not something that is acceptable as a general rule. I wouldn't advise trying it to.99% of keepers. They can get along if many variables and consistent protocols are met. It is nothing to take lighty. Conditioning, from hatching to adult, plays a critical role in success. It relys on social conditioning and feed response/habits. When it.is done properly they move around and feed like normal groups. They lay together and there is no tail loss or aggressive encounters aside from minor food competition. The food competition is normal in regular.groups, so it.does not go beyond the norm. Again, it is NOT advisable to cage more than one male together! My guess is that 90% of the people who.read this think they.can do it... I would just have to disagree.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

CrestieFu (01-04-2017)

Thanks

I completely understand and would never think to do it, I had just been curious if it was even remotely possible. Evolutionary instincts are interesting to me, that's all. It's kind of fascinating how they retain their instincts to a point in captivity.
    Crested Geckos are the cutest things EVER!

Thanks

I just had to be clear on the point because people misconstrue or just run with Internet information. The instincts can be altered/conditioned based on early socialization, fight or flight response and food response in relation to movement. It all revolves around their particular level of brain function.

Thanks

The only time one of my geckos has bit me so far was when I was preparing them all for moving and I didn't wash my hands between handling my two largest males. It didn't hurt but Ruin made his feelings towards OreSeur very clear.
    Facebook: Avid Exotics