Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underweight Crestie????

Thanks

Default Underweight Crestie????

I adopted a Crestie yesterday!!! They estimated his age to be around a year old. He's currently residing in a 33 gallon vertical tank with UVB, and 60W day and night bulbs. His diet is crested gecko powder. I haven't been able to weigh him- don't own a scale (if u have any suggestions that would be great!). I'm trying to figure out if he's underweight based upon appearance and if so, what is the best way for him to gain weight?

Pictures:

hosting images

Thanks

Also, I mainly have experience with bearded dragons and corn snakes. I noticed that my crested has changed color- he turns very pale during the daytime! i took him out for a short handling and he regained some color. im assuming this is normal?? seems like a behavioral response!

Thanks

he's well-rounded, so no, not underweight.

you can get a cheap digital scale at walmart or target for like 10$
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

The color change is very normal with cresties, with a darker color often with more pattern evident being "fired up", and a paler coloration "fired down". Is he eating well for you? His abdomen seems pretty round which could either be currently eating more than in the recent past or possibly a higher worm burden. Where did you get him from and what is his husbandry history (housing, diet, etc)?

Also, silly question, but you are mixing the CGD power with water before offering, right?
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

looks like a good weight, but appears like a broken hip or maybe MBD?

it is very normal for them to change colors. its called firing up and down. when he is fired up, he will have more color/darker color. this is when he is awake/active. and he will be paler when sleeping/not active. I highly highly suggest ordering Repashy CGD or Pangea CGD. they are complete and the best food out there. do GOBS of research.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    looks like a good weight, but appears like a broken hip or maybe MBD?
    Ya good point - I was attributing his hip tilt due to the leg position being the same in both photos with right hind leg higher, but if you have further pics of him in other positions that would be helpful.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

1. I haven't seen him eat voluntarily (I'm assuming he eats when I'm not around) but I handfeed him in the morning just in case.
    2. I adopted him from Petco- no particular reason why he was up for adoption other than being older. They explained he was on Repashy and small crickets and was eating well. He's alert and active, so I'm pretty sure he's healthy! They had him in a 10 gallon, both food sources available, water available, etc. A basic setup.
    3. Yes I'm mixing with water! I work in a reptile lab and at Petsmart, I would be fired if I didn't know the basics!
    3. I'm nearly positive he doesn't have a broken hip or MBD, but here's a pic from this morning! (Sorry if these aren't adequate, it's hard to find a moment when he's still!)

photo uploading

Thanks

For clarification, I work with animals who have MBD, and I don't see any symptoms or "trademarks" of the disease on him.

Thanks

A picture from last night!

Thanks

Thanks for more pics, he looks and sounds pretty healthy to me and the impression of bloaty belly earlier I think was from the way he was positioned in the initial pics. Not underweight at all, many juvie males tend to have a long and lean look. As for mixing with water - you never know, some people actually *do* offer only powder, lol.

I actually would stop the handfeeding and just offer the food in his cage, changing for fresh every other day. It looks like he has paper towel substrate (?), if so it will be easier to monitor poops. Many new owners get concerned they aren't eating but it is quite hard to tell if they are taking in food as they only need a little. If he is pooping and not losing weight, he is eating. As for scales, I like this one, it is accurate to 0.1 g:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I probably would not offer bugs until after a couple weeks of settling in to make sure he is taking CGD well. And when you start bugs again make sure they are dusted with calcium/D3/vitamin mix such as Repashy Calcium Plus. Also, you didn't mention humidity, but also make sure you have a daily humidity cycle where it peaks around 90% (usually with an evening spray), gradually lowers and spends just a couple hours around 50-60% before misting again.
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page