Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a few questions before i get my Crested Gecko today.

Thanks

Question Just a few questions before i get my Crested Gecko today.

Hello everyone, just as the title says i have a few questions to ask before i get my crestie today! I'll list them down below to make it easier to answer.

1. How often do i feed my crestie?
    2. How much do i feed it? I'm planning on buying a baby crestie.
    3. How often should i clean the tank? I'm using a 10 gallon 20x10x12 tank to start off.
    4. What do i feed the crickets so they live long enough for me to feed my gecko?

That's all i have for now. Thank you for the feed back in advance!

Thanks

1. Everyone does it slightly different. I always have CGD available but I only put fresh in every other day.
    2. I use .5oz cups from Pangea, you can use a pop bottle cap and that should be plenty.
    3. Depends on the gecko, some of my geckos are cleaner and poop on the ground/drop air bombs on the paper towels so its easier to clean. My babies/smaller geckos tend to make messes on the glass that require deep cleans more often.
    3. You can get some flukers cricket diet from any petco or petsmart and that will keep them fed, though you'll need some water crystals (little rubbery polymer crystals that absorb water) or cotton swabs dipped in water to hydrate them as bugs are really good at drowning in water. Crickets can be a pain to keep alive sometimes, I prefer to feed B. dubia roaches as my insect of choice because they are hardier and easier to contain (no jumping).
    Facebook: Avid Exotics

Thanks

1. The feeding schedule I follow is Monday: fresh food, Tuesday: same food left in from Monday, Wednesday: remove old food put in fresh food, Thursday: same food left from Wednesday, Friday: remove old food put in fresh food, Saturday: same food left in from Friday, Sunday: remove old food and offer insects. Make sure that the calcium dusted insects are only offered once or twice a week and they are smaller than the space between the geckos eyes. The majority of the diet should be either Pangea or Repashy CGD. The pet store brands are junk.
    2. I mix about 1/4 tsp of food with 1 tsp of water in little plastic dishes that I get from Pangea. You would probably want to use less for a little gecko though.
    3. A 20x10x12 might be a bit large for a baby gecko. A large critter keeper would probably be better so the gecko can find the food ok. I clean once a week. I replace any paper towels, spray tank and decor with 10% bleach, and then rinse everything off really really well.
    4. I think dubia roaches would be better for your uses. Crickets don't live very long and they stink and chirp. Either way, you can use the premade diets and water cubes but fresh or frozen and thawed fruits and vegetables are a bit healthier I think. And they provide food and water all in one. You can even grind the vegetables and fruit to make a paste and then freeze it in ice cube trays for convenience.

http://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/crested-geckos This website has so much information on so many topics. I found it really useful when I first got my first crested gecko. I hope this helps and good luck with your new little friend!

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. Just picked up the gecko! I'll keep everything you said in mind!

Thanks

Thanks Ollie for the answers! just got my gecko and i put it in a critter keeper like you suggested.

Thanks

No problem! Oh, and remember: as tempting as it is, avoid handling for these first two weeks to allow the gecko to settle in. And more fake plants is better. It will help him or her feel nice and safe. What are you naming the little one?

Thanks

Yes, I don't plan on handling until I see it's eating properly and comfortable. I do have this bush of leaves that should fit inside the critter keeper so I'll use that. Also how big should the gecko be until i have to switch it over to the 10 gallon tank? I really don't have a name right away; I was thinking about giving it a name that appropriately fits his personality. I did have Vlad in mind, but I'm not to sure if I'll go with that.

Edit: Oh, and another question. What level of Humidity should i have the enclosure be? I do have a hydrometer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfclann101 View Post
    Yes, I don't plan on handling until I see it's eating properly and comfortable. I do have this bush of leaves that should fit inside the critter keeper so I'll use that. Also how big should the gecko be until i have to switch it over to the 10 gallon tank? I really don't have a name right away; I was thinking about giving it a name that appropriately fits his personality. I did have Vlad in mind, but I'm not to sure if I'll go with that.

Edit: Oh, and another question. What level of Humidity should i have the enclosure be? I do have a hydrometer.
    I say 10 grams and around that is a good size. I did oput my 5 gram in a 10 gallon, but I dont recommend that.
    Vlad is a cute name.

the humidity should be at 70ish% in the early morning, 50ish% in the afternoon and evening and 90ish% at night.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Thank you very much for the info Lovelyanddekstest! Hopefully he'll grow fast so i can switch him over. Vlad is a cute name thank you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfclann101 View Post
    Thank you very much for the info Lovelyanddekstest! Hopefully he'll grow fast so i can switch him over. Vlad is a cute name thank you.
    what does he weigh now?
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS