Thread: size of roach and going away

Thanks

Default size of roach and going away

Hi all,

Had Maple now about 4 weeks... so far she is settling in well, easy to be handled but she hasnt really eaten much.. Had two poos in 4 weeks (lovely conversation ha ha). Anyway am I still ok to start feeding live... she was eating live before she came to us... Although she is only 10g and not sure what size roaches to get.. was going to get from livefood.co.uk and the small is between 4-12mm and then medium is around 12-20mm?

Also, in summer we are planning to go to a caravan (inlaws) for 5 days... we could get someone round to mist her although I doubt they will come everyday so what im asking is how does everyone get round keeping an eye on them whilst your away unless I take her with us but would be in an exo terra faunarium? would that be suitable or would that be cruel? I just figured we could feed and spray as needed when she is with us although I could if they would do this take her exo terra round the inlaws but im not sure they would want her round there so just trying to figure it out really?

thanks all.xName:  Maple new home.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  90.0 KB

Thanks

The usual recommendation for feeding live insects is to wait until the gecko eats the crested gecko diet well, and then introduce insects. On the other hand, I noticed that insects sometimes stimulate the gecko's appetite - for CGD as well. I would gut-load the roaches with crested gecko diet (that way, the gecko still gets the nutrients), and only feed live food once a week.

About leaving your gecko when on vacation: I would avoid taking Maple with you, it will likely be very stressful for her, and caravans can get very hot, which could be dangerous. I normally ask a friend to look after my geckos, or I hire a pet sitter. Visits every other day are usually fine, but I prefer having someone check on the geckos every day. If I am gone for just a weekend, I sometimes do not get a pet sitter, but I do have an automatic misting system to keep the geckos hydrated. Dehydration can quickly become a problem, so my recommendation would be misting system + have someone check on your gecko and feed her every other day, or daily visits for misting and feeding.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

As far as the size of roach to get, it depends on how many you are buying. If you only have one gecko and are purchasing 100+ dubia for example, I'd get the smaller size as they will grow a bit and you don't want them to outgrow your geckos ability to eat them if the crestie is the only reptile you have. Also a tip to keeping dubias if you haven't before, make sure to mist them occasionally because if they go to molt and don't have enough humidity they will die trying to get their old skin off.

In my experience feeding roaches only interferes with my geckos wanting to eat their CGD if I establish a pattern and leave the roach dishes in the enclosures. Cresties are very smart animals and will quickly learn that a certain dish or tool means they are getting bugs. If I leave the roach dishes in the enclosure many of my geckos will just sit on the dishes waiting for more. One of my geckos, TenSoon, I had to stop feeding him live bugs for a month because he figured out my every Monday pattern and would hold out for the bugs.
    Facebook: Avid Exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    The usual recommendation for feeding live insects is to wait until the gecko eats the crested gecko diet well, and then introduce insects. On the other hand, I noticed that insects sometimes stimulate the gecko's appetite - for CGD as well. I would gut-load the roaches with crested gecko diet (that way, the gecko still gets the nutrients), and only feed live food once a week.

About leaving your gecko when on vacation: I would avoid taking Maple with you, it will likely be very stressful for her, and caravans can get very hot, which could be dangerous. I normally ask a friend to look after my geckos, or I hire a pet sitter. Visits every other day are usually fine, but I prefer having someone check on the geckos every day. If I am gone for just a weekend, I sometimes do not get a pet sitter, but I do have an automatic misting system to keep the geckos hydrated. Dehydration can quickly become a problem, so my recommendation would be misting system + have someone check on your gecko and feed her every other day, or daily visits for misting and feeding.
    Thank you, i did wonder if the caravan may get too hot but just thought could keep close eye on her. What ill do is ill get my inlaws round but I could possibly ask my neighbour as they have alot of animals including a snake so know they wont feel funny bout caring for a reptile.. Im sure they wouldnt mind poppping in to give her a mist. What mister do you have? that would actually be a good alternative although I did hear they arent very good. I know there are always mixed opinions. But if yours is fine and it does the job for the week then could be another good alternative and then could get my inlaw round every other day to change food? My food tends to dry out by second day so we rewater it, would you just make it up bit more watery? I tend to put in Monday, spray adn mix up again (same food) Tuesday, Wednesday change, mix up Thursday, change friday and so on.. but obviously if giving insects which was only going to do once a week was going to not feed any saturday and feed insects on Sunday? would 3-4 be sufficient?

sorry for loads of questions. Thanks for being so helpful.x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyPaws View Post
    As far as the size of roach to get, it depends on how many you are buying. If you only have one gecko and are purchasing 100+ dubia for example, I'd get the smaller size as they will grow a bit and you don't want them to outgrow your geckos ability to eat them if the crestie is the only reptile you have. Also a tip to keeping dubias if you haven't before, make sure to mist them occasionally because if they go to molt and don't have enough humidity they will die trying to get their old skin off.

In my experience feeding roaches only interferes with my geckos wanting to eat their CGD if I establish a pattern and leave the roach dishes in the enclosures. Cresties are very smart animals and will quickly learn that a certain dish or tool means they are getting bugs. If I leave the roach dishes in the enclosure many of my geckos will just sit on the dishes waiting for more. One of my geckos, TenSoon, I had to stop feeding him live bugs for a month because he figured out my every Monday pattern and would hold out for the bugs.
    Too be honest I was only going to buy a small amount, think was about 10-20 of them as didnt really want to breed them.xx

I was going to feed on a Sunday but if like you said they get used to the days, then ill mix it up a bit then so they dont get to used to the day... Ill keep eye on her and see how she goes, Ill see if the insects stimulate her more into eating her CGD first and if it doesnt ill stop feeding them until she fully takes CGD then start feeding them again.. so every few days just give them a mist just the few I have and put in old CGD for them to eat along with oats? veggies etc?

thanks very much.xxx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrinaL37 View Post
    Too be honest I was only going to buy a small amount, think was about 10-20 of them as didnt really want to breed them.xx

I was going to feed on a Sunday but if like you said they get used to the days, then ill mix it up a bit then so they dont get to used to the day... Ill keep eye on her and see how she goes, Ill see if the insects stimulate her more into eating her CGD first and if it doesnt ill stop feeding them until she fully takes CGD then start feeding them again.. so every few days just give them a mist just the few I have and put in old CGD for them to eat along with oats? veggies etc?

thanks very much.xxx
    There is some argument over whether you should feed old CGD as it can perpetuate illness/parasites I would feed the roaches dry, new CGD if you're going to feed it to them. They do well on veggies and oats and the like, though I'm sure you could buy some gutload like flukers from your local pet store and that would be fine as well.
    Facebook: Avid Exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyPaws View Post
    There is some argument over whether you should feed old CGD as it can perpetuate illness/parasites I would feed the roaches dry, new CGD if you're going to feed it to them. They do well on veggies and oats and the like, though I'm sure you could buy some gutload like flukers from your local pet store and that would be fine as well.
    perfect thanks very much for your help and advice.x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrinaL37 View Post
    Thank you, i did wonder if the caravan may get too hot but just thought could keep close eye on her. What ill do is ill get my inlaws round but I could possibly ask my neighbour as they have alot of animals including a snake so know they wont feel funny bout caring for a reptile.. Im sure they wouldnt mind poppping in to give her a mist. What mister do you have? that would actually be a good alternative although I did hear they arent very good. I know there are always mixed opinions. But if yours is fine and it does the job for the week then could be another good alternative and then could get my inlaw round every other day to change food? My food tends to dry out by second day so we rewater it, would you just make it up bit more watery? I tend to put in Monday, spray adn mix up again (same food) Tuesday, Wednesday change, mix up Thursday, change friday and so on.. but obviously if giving insects which was only going to do once a week was going to not feed any saturday and feed insects on Sunday? would 3-4 be sufficient?

sorry for loads of questions. Thanks for being so helpful.x
    I would recommend the Mistking misting systems if you are looking for automatic. From what I've read and heard from others, they are the best brand on the market. I have only heard positive things and the customer service is great apparently. I actually have one on the way for when we go out of town. I feel that its too much to ask someone to come every day twice a day so the misting system will allow the sitter to come only every other day, especially since we don't have any immediate neighbors because we live out in the country. If your food is drying out by the second day, you should probably make it more watery or bump the humidity up. That helped when my food was drying to fast. I follow the same feeding schedule you do, minus the bugs because my gecko doesn't like bugs anymore. 3 to 4 gutloaded calcium dusted insects that are smaller than the space between the geckos eyes would be about right though. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie H View Post
    I would recommend the Mistking misting systems if you are looking for automatic. From what I've read and heard from others, they are the best brand on the market. I have only heard positive things and the customer service is great apparently. I actually have one on the way for when we go out of town. I feel that its too much to ask someone to come every day twice a day so the misting system will allow the sitter to come only every other day, especially since we don't have any immediate neighbors because we live out in the country. If your food is drying out by the second day, you should probably make it more watery or bump the humidity up. That helped when my food was drying to fast. I follow the same feeding schedule you do, minus the bugs because my gecko doesn't like bugs anymore. 3 to 4 gutloaded calcium dusted insects that are smaller than the space between the geckos eyes would be about right though. Hope this helps!
    Dito. I have a Mistking as well, and it works perfectly. I recommend the 'basic' set, which has all you need for your first setup: the pump, timer, hose and nozzles. It is a little more expensive than other 'basic' misting systems, but the pump is very well built and the programmable timer is great as well (once you figure out how to program it ;-)). The pump can work with up to 10 nozzles, so you can keep more than one crestie happy. I used 2 nozzles in a 12x12x18. It takes a little experimenting to get the misting times / nozzle placement right for optimal humidity, so I would not set it up at the last minute. Take a quiet Sunday afternoon for assembling and testing everything. You will also need a water reservoir. I got a food grade bucket with a lid and fill it with purified drinking water.

About the food drying out: You can mix it more watery, but some geckos have a preferred consistency and won't touch it when it is too runny. You could also try a second food bowl, and mix some food with less water (for immediate consumption) and some with more water for the next day.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    Dito. I have a Mistking as well, and it works perfectly. I recommend the 'basic' set, which has all you need for your first setup: the pump, timer, hose and nozzles. It is a little more expensive than other 'basic' misting systems, but the pump is very well built and the programmable timer is great as well (once you figure out how to program it ;-)). The pump can work with up to 10 nozzles, so you can keep more than one crestie happy. I used 2 nozzles in a 12x12x18. It takes a little experimenting to get the misting times / nozzle placement right for optimal humidity, so I would not set it up at the last minute. Take a quiet Sunday afternoon for assembling and testing everything. You will also need a water reservoir. I got a food grade bucket with a lid and fill it with purified drinking water.

About the food drying out: You can mix it more watery, but some geckos have a preferred consistency and won't touch it when it is too runny. You could also try a second food bowl, and mix some food with less water (for immediate consumption) and some with more water for the next day.
    thank you very much for your advice thats very good ideas so Ill do that and hopefully she will start eating soon.xxxx

Mistking I cant seem to find are you in the UK? ive had a look but cant seem to find it? only thing that I can find that reviews seem to be good are for the Zoo Med repti fogger?

thanks so much.xx