Thread: Chahoua vs. Leachie (market value and Q's from a perspective owner)

Thanks

Default Chahoua vs. Leachie (market value and Q's from a perspective owner)

Mods: Please feel free to move this if you see fit or think it would work betteri n the "other rhacs" forum, etc.

Question for you guys: I'm on the fence about getting either a leachie or a chahoua. This would be my first higher-end gecko purchase (I've had cresteds, gargs, various snakes, etc... But none that was in the same price range as these two species go for).

Thus, I want to make the right decision between the two. I have never gotten to handle either and will more-than-likely have to purchase online. That said, I like some traits of both. I like the size of the leachies and like the very "splotchy" multi-colored patterning on the chahouas...Especially the Pine Islands. I want to experience a rhac that is quite different than my gargs / cresteds in terms of temperament, looks, etc. (I especially want a calmer more easy-going gecko and wouldn't mind more intelligence).

The animal in question will be more of a pet vs. a breeding investment. I have no immediate plans of breeding and thus don't care if it is a cross, etc. What matters to me most is health, ease of care, and ease of handling / temperament... Large size and nice color would be a plus, but I know that may not happen in my price range... which would be around $400 - $600.. I'd like to spend more, but my husband has a hard time understanding the "market value" of herps so he is harder to convince lol.

I was wondering if you could tell me which one you would suggest as a first purchase if you had to choose between the two (given my criteria and price range, etc.). If you have any other advice (i.e. if one gender would fit my criteria better, etc.) or suggested breeders for me to keep an eye on, that would be great. I am willing to be as patient as necessary and if there is a particular "season" for chewies / leachies, then I can wait until there are more options available.

If my price range makes leachies (or chewies) of a particular locale impossible or not-likely, please let me know that as well... I want to get a decent example of whatever I get (not a "dog ugly" individual at a rock bottom price but also not a super-high-end example), and I have had a hard time researching market value on these guys as they are not often available... If I need to wait and save up more money to be able to afford a nice example, then I am willing to do so than to settle for a very poor one just because it fits in my current price range.

Thank you for your time and help!
    1.2 crested geckos 0.3 ball pythons 3.0 boa constrictors 1.0 jag carpet python, 1.0 western hognose, 0.2 Kenyan sand boas 1.0 cat

Thanks

They are both great species, but if you are looking at pet quality as a #1 factor, usually the biggest issue comes up if you are willing to end up with an animal that may try to (and can do so if you don't watch it!) draw blood every time you interact with them. While those who are overly aggressive are pretty rare, cage defensive behavior (growling/lunging/biting when in tank) is relatively common. Some chewies can also be grumps, but this is less common (unless a girl is guarding her eggs), and with the smaller size they can't do as much damage as leachies.

I have both species and enjoy them both in different ways. The leachies can be pretty impressive, and many can be super laid back, being just "lumps of gecko" when out of the cage. They also have a really large repertoire of vocalizations and if you get into breeding one day form bonds with their mates. They also have poop that rivals the Death Star in terms of destructive power, plus the ability to shoot for distance.

Chewies have more diversity in pattern and color, but don't get as big as leachies. They tend to be more active and inquisitive. Females can get quite defensive of eggs, and produce a heavy shell that requires really making sure her calcium levels are good or she can be prone to MBD. However, females tend to be at a lower %, so if you get a baby chances are usually higher you will end up with a boy and don't have to worry about this.

Some other threads that may help with your decision:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...nus-vs-Chahoua
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...wie-vs-Leachie

Your price range looks good for a decent unsexed baby of either species or maybe even an older mainland chewie male.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Thank you so much for your help! I will check out the links you posted.

I am getting feedback from a couple groups on FB talking about cage-defensive behavior in leachies, so I think I may be leaning chewie at this point, but am still open to both species.
    1.2 crested geckos 0.3 ball pythons 3.0 boa constrictors 1.0 jag carpet python, 1.0 western hognose, 0.2 Kenyan sand boas 1.0 cat

Thanks

I have 4 chahoua and I absolutely adore them. I was also considering a leachie, but I ended up changing my mind after reading about the cage aggression and hell poops. I have 2 juvenile males and 2 more recent babies. They definitely have their own personalities and watching their colors/pattern develop over time is always so fascinating. I'm hoping the babies turn female for breeding in the (far) future, but I'm not holding my breath!

And just to add, I purchased most of my chahoua (both pure PI and ML) for $400 and under. So it's possible to get a good deal if you are patient and look around for an unsexed baby!

Thanks

I love my pet chahoua! I unfortunately never met a leachie in person, so I can not compare the two species. The potential cage aggression put me off as well, but it is always a possibility - even with a crested gecko (though I am aware that a crestie bite and a leachie bite do not quite compare). It is funny how there seems to be a "smelly poop ranking" among the New Caledonian geckos (Leachie -- > Chewie --> Crestie). At least my chewie also drops slightly smellier bombs than my cresties...
    I like the bigger size and attractive pattern of my chahoua (male Pine Isle, no high white, price was in your range), and he is a very sweet and inquisitive animal. I bought him in January, which could be called "off-season". I think you would have the biggest selection of chahoua babies in summer and fall, when breeders get a lot of new hatchlings.
    If you are primarily interested in a pet and you are not looking for a sexed male or female, you should definitely get a baby chewie, both for price reasons and because baby chewies are incredibly cute :-).
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Chahoua do have some smelly poops! My new baby ML is probably only 6g and is stinking up the place, I can't believe it! I have my older chahoua in bioactive cages, and I do notice they tend to be on the smellier side vs. my crestie, that's for sure.

Thanks

One more thing about chahouas: you can not believe how good they are at camouflage until you have seen - or rather not seen - it in person. I am in Germany at the moment, and I had to alert a friend after my pet sitter reported my chahoua Urmel "missing". I am pretty sure he is just playing his usual game and he is still in his tank, but I hope they find him soon. I once almost lost him when I was searching for him and took him out of his tank on a piece of cork bark (on which he went perfectly unnoticed). This is part of the fun of having a chewie, but it can be stressful.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    One more thing about chahouas: you can not believe how good they are at camouflage until you have seen - or rather not seen - it in person. I am in Germany at the moment, and I had to alert a friend after my pet sitter reported my chahoua Urmel "missing". I am pretty sure he is just playing his usual game and he is still in his tank, but I hope they find him soon. I once almost lost him when I was searching for him and took him out of his tank on a piece of cork bark (on which he went perfectly unnoticed). This is part of the fun of having a chewie, but it can be stressful.
    Lol, yes both species are masters of camouflage! I have "lost" my chewie in plain sight a few times, and with one of my leachies I didn't find him until I went to grab some cork bark to take out and my hand grabbed a spot that turned out to be soft....oh hey there he was
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Thanks guys!

I was pretty sure that part of my decision would come down to availability, since reptile breeders are slim to none in my area. Well, that ended up playing a large role lol. I posted on my state's reptile group on FB that i was going to our local show next weekend and the species I was interested in. I actually had a breeder message me who works with both chewies and leaches. She only had leachies available at this time, but she did have some in my price range. I asked her about temperament and she said that out of 60 leaches, she only has issues with 3 and that all of those are mainland and one she got as an adult..

So, based on that, I decided to go ahead and try a leachie... I keep snakes also, so a leachie poo can't be nearly as smelly as theirs and the same with any possible cage aggression... I still want a chewie badly, but all of the prices I was quoted, even for unsexed mainlands in my area were well over $400... closer to $600... Which is a lot more than I will be paying for the leachie.

Once I get him/her, I will post with pics in the "other rhacs" forum and keep you guys posted. Hopefully one day I'll also be able to post that I found a chewie as well.

Thanks again for your input and help!