Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shade MBD crestie update! Also calculations?

Thanks

Question Shade MBD crestie update! Also calculations?

After taking her to the vets today, which might I add had a 40 consultation fee :o
    I was given Zolcal-D, which contains Calcium, D2 and Magnesium.
    Full ingredients list:Calcium gluconate 40% (400g/litre), vitamin D3 25,000 IU/litre.
    I am instructed to give 0.1ml per 100g of the animal.
    Soooo I may have to do some math, can some of you check this for me before I feed her today?

Shade weighs 19g.

Does anyone know how to work this out please? Maths has Never been my strong suit and this is very delicate work. I've been given two syringes to extract the Zolcal-D and mix into the Pangea when I feed her.
    However the syringe they gave me only starts at 0.1 ml, meaning it's kinda of guess work anyway as I hhave no wya of accurately measuring below 0.1ml?

She's stronger still and the vet was shocked when I showed him pictures of her previous condition when she first came to us. He says she may be left with some disformities such as her underbite and curve in her spine :/ As well as her nubby tail.

Thanks all for the support and advice Will keep you all posted as always

Update, is this correct? A very helpful person said 0.019ml is suitable after she calculated, however I have no experience with syringes, is this the correct amount ( 0.0019 ml ) below?
    Name:  syringe red line 3.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  15.7 KB
    There's 9 tiny lines leading up to the 0.01ml mark, and every tiny mark stands for 0.001 right???? I'm emmensly confused and really just want to feed my gecko right now XD
    Last edited by GeoHiccup; 12-20-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks

I'm surprised the vet didn't give you the exact dosage for your animal. That is a poor vet in my mind. Anyway, 0.1ml divided by 100 = 0.001ml per gram so take that number and times it by 19 to give you 0.019ml for your crestie. I'm not sure how you would measure out such a small number. I very small syringe maybe? Did your vet give you syringes at least?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidilia View Post
    I'm surprised the vet didn't give you the exact dosage for your animal. That is a poor vet in my mind. Anyway, 0.1ml divided by 100 = 0.001ml per gram so take that number and times it by 19 to give you 0.019ml for your crestie. I'm not sure how you would measure out such a small number. I very small syringe maybe? Did your vet give you syringes at least?
    Yes he gave me two syringes but the lowest measurement on them both is 0.1ml so measuring out 0.019 will be difficult, however I'm so greatful for you to have worked that out! Would my method work?

19 goes into 100 5 times evenly. Meaning Shade will have 0.1ml total in 5 days? If so, I could extract 0.1ml and then seperate it into 5 drops. Then use one of those drops per day for 5 days????????

Thanks

19 doesn't go into 100 evenly, that would be 20 (20 x 5 = 100 where 19 x 5 = 195). I'm not sure how much of a difference the extra 0.005 would be though. Also I'm not even sure how you could get 5 drops out of 0.1ml. 0.1ml is basically a drop itself. All you can do is try I guess. Hopefully someone else will chip in with some more advice.

Thanks

Hmm, maybe your vet expects you to dilute it? How annoying that they didn't give you proper instructions
    0.0.1 C. ciliatus tiger w/ dal spots "Jigen"

Thanks

It surprising that the vet didn't give you the exact dosages. I'm not a math person so I can't help with that aspect but I would certainly get in contact with another exotic vet and ask for their advice.

Thanks

Have you called your vet for clarification yet? If you are unsure you should definitely contact them and confirm dosage and administration as with such a small amount you want to be as accurate as possible. What is the total volume of the syringes you were given? A 1 ml oral syringe is usually standard for oral dosing and has hatch-marks accurate to 0.01 even if every 10 is labeled at 0.1 increments such as here:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/media...yringe-8b4.jpg

There are also 0.5 ml oral syringes with labeling every 0.05 that would be a bit easier to draw small amounts more accurately, but a 1 ml should be sufficient if you can draw up to just shy of 0.02 for a dose of 0.019 ml. Keep in mind that there is often a problem with "dead space" at the tip of the syringe, and drawing up only a tiny amount will be most affected by this. To reduce this problem, draw the liquid up and down a few times before measuring to remove any air bubble being trapped in the tip.

When you mentioned mixing in Pangea, I am assuming just a little bit to create a "vehicle" for oral administration with the syringe, rather than mixing the whole amount in her food dish (which likely won't all get eaten), correct?

Again, call them to verify this info - followup questions from a visit and thorough client education are usually encouraged by good vets.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

So 0.019ml into the mix of pangea Thank you so much! Working out how to measure that, now.
    Name:  syringe 1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  10.0 KB
    Name:  syringe 2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  10.0 KB

P.S does this go up by 0.005ml per tiny line under the 0.01ml line? So just under four lines would be the 0.019ml I need.
    Sorry to bother oyu so much :o

Thanks

That is a 1ml syringe and goes up by 0.1ml measurements. This means each tiny line is 0.01. This also means you need to only go up to just before the 2nd tiny line on the syringe. You want 0.019ml. In your second picture you are giving the gecko almost 0.2ml that is 10 times the amount you need to give!! 0.019 is so small that most of the medication with be in the tip of the syringe and not in the tube itself.

Thanks

Thank you! Shall feed her now What a tricky procedure!!!