Thread: Chahoua questions

Thanks

Question Chahoua questions

Hello there i am interested in getting a chahoua but I have a few questions that i can't seem to find the answer to.

What is the general cost of a individual chahoua?

what environment do they naturally live in?

Are they nocturnal or diurnal?

How do you pronounce the name correctly?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slappedham View Post
    Hello there i am interested in getting a chahoua but I have a few questions that i can't seem to find the answer to.

What is the general cost of a individual chahoua?

what environment do they naturally live in?

Are they nocturnal or diurnal?

How do you pronounce the name correctly?

Any help is very much appreciated.
    Chewies are on the pricey side - I would say around $500 to 1K+, depending on locale, color, sex. Sexed females at the current market are usually going to be 1k+, white collar Pine Islands seem to be the pricest/in vogue right now. Mainland hatchlings are more likely to be found under $500, but don't expect anything to be as cheap as cresties can be.

They are also a New Caledonia species, so their habitat and care is similar to cresties, and they are nocturnal. Feeding will also be about the same (same CGD), but chewies usually are more into bugs, and dusted insects should be a good part of their diet. There are also differences with breeding (age, female egg guarding, MUGH HIGHER calcium requirements in egg production, etc). Babies also change quite drastically from hatchling pattern/color to adulthood (expect a white collar generally stays).

Cha-WHO-ah
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Agree with CrestieFu, chahouas are pricey. I paid > $500 for an unsexed Pine Isle hatchling (no white collar), and they are generally harder to get than cresties. I had to shop around and contact a few breeders before I found one who even had a chahoua available. I absolutely love my chahoua, but as a pet I do not see too much difference compared to a crestie. I like that chewies are a little bigger , and I love their looks in general. Chahouas are also said to be smarter and more outgoing than cresties, but I find my geckos are all pretty friendly and inquisitive.
    If you are planning to breed, there is definitely a market for chahoua babies, but they are much harder to breed than cresties and not recommended for beginners. If you just plan on keeping a pet chahoua, their care is very similar to crested geckos, but (as mentioned by CrestieFu) they eat more bugs and if you get a female you have to keep an eye on her calcium level in case she starts laying eggs.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

In terms of availability, the window for shipping is closed now in a lot of areas. Prime time for buying would be June-November. Definitely check out Chahoua Classifieds on Facebook, it's a great resource for those looking to sell or buy. The most I have paid for one of my 4 babies has been $450, the lowest $315 (these numbers include shipping). As the others mentioned, anything with a unique pattern/coloring or white collar will be more. They're a great species of gecko, my favorite by far.

Thanks

thanks for the help guys i found one on kingsnake.com for about 560 dollars. Im still debating on getting it though because i kinda like not being broke . maybe i'll get a gargoyle gecko instead.