Thread: !!! Taking Lizard to Vet, Need Suggestions on Keeping Warm!!

Thanks

Exclamation !!! Taking Lizard to Vet, Need Suggestions on Keeping Warm!!

Hi all,

After doing some research and posting some questions on here, I decided it's best to take my skink to the vet. I live in NYC and while it's not freezing, it's pretty cold for a lizard. We are going in a car, but still, worried about temps as it is predicted that tomorrow (when Im taking him) will be 46 and sunny.

I've heard that taking them in a plastic bin wiith their substrate in it is best, but how can I keep the substrate warm? Is plastic water bottles with hot water a good idea? Do I put that directly in the bin?

Thanks in advance!

Nix

Thanks

Pre-heat the car, and then put skink in small kritter keeper, spray with semi-warm water (just a bit) put in a cloth bag of some sort, like a backpack is a good one too. And quickly treck to the car. The exposure to the cool air wont be long enough to cause issues. I used to live in Montana, and when i got my gargoyle gecko it was in the middle of winter. I had a ride, the car was warm, she was put in a small container and placed in my messenger bag and then out the store doors and into the car. Same once home and she was still walkin around, lickin her eyebals, and all that other gecko nonsense. If youre walking for more than a couple.minutes to your car though, i would heat up some water and use the waterbottle trico, wrap the bottle in a washcloth or somethin and place into the bag next to the container.

Do not put the hot container IN the container with the animal, it can roll around or the animal could touch it and get hurt.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

nix_charmi (12-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    Pre-heat the car, and then put skink in small kritter keeper, spray with semi-warm water (just a bit) put in a cloth bag of some sort, like a backpack is a good one too. And quickly treck to the car. The exposure to the cool air wont be long enough to cause issues. I used to live in Montana, and when i got my gargoyle gecko it was in the middle of winter. I had a ride, the car was warm, she was put in a small container and placed in my messenger bag and then out the store doors and into the car. Same once home and she was still walkin around, lickin her eyebals, and all that other gecko nonsense. If youre walking for more than a couple.minutes to your car though, i would heat up some water and use the waterbottle trico, wrap the bottle in a washcloth or somethin and place into the bag next to the container.

Do not put the hot container IN the container with the animal, it can roll around or the animal could touch it and get hurt.
    Great advice! Thanks so much. Ok so based on your advice, im thinking of putting him into a small container (I dont have a small enough critter keeper) with some of his substrate because he does like to burrow a lot. Putting that container in a messenger bag/backpack with some warm water bottles in the backpack? Im going in a taxi so I really dont have control over pre-heating a car, unfortunately. how does that sound? thank you so much! And we will be outside for a matter of seconds-- from my house door to the cab door, from the cab door to the vet door. door-to-door, no walking!

Thanks so much again!

Thanks

Another alternative - a bottle of hot water in some crumpled up newspaper, also packed around your container, inside a cardboard box. Works perfectly for short trips.

Best of luck with your skink, let us know what the vet says. Herp vets are hard to find where I live.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

nix_charmi (12-02-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Another alternative - a bottle of hot water in some crumpled up newspaper, also packed around your container, inside a cardboard box. Works perfectly for short trips.

Best of luck with your skink, let us know what the vet says. Herp vets are hard to find where I live.
    Thank you so much! I will keep you guys updated! He has a small lump on his leg but shows no signs of sickness. No heavy breathing, coughing, sneezing, foaming at the mouth. He climbs regularly, he's very active, eats regularly, basks regularly. No cuts or scabs or anything of the sort, just went through his first full body shed all on his own succesfully. So we are a bit confuzzled and we want to get down to the bottom of this! We are thinking he has a small booboo because he climbs to the top of his cage and hangs from the screen top and sometimes falls down... but we just want to be sure its not premature MBD because we are almost certain the horrible pet shop we bought it from (yes, we've learned our lesson) wasn't dusting his crickets with anything at all, let alone calcium, vitamins, or D3.

Thanks

Update, herp vet only avail. Mons & Wednesdays! Taking him monday night. fingers crossed.