Thread: Oil space heater, or a heat lamp?

Thanks

Default Oil space heater, or a heat lamp?

So back when I lived up north in MT and WA... of course we had cold winters that not even the heater in our house could handle effectively at night, so I used heat lamps with little problem. I haven't: however, had experience with the power of space heaters, so I'd like to hear from my northern friends

Now that I'm in CA.... well, let's just say I never thought I'd have to experience a lot of cold. I knew it got a bit chillier as winter rolled in, but it's.... -looks at phone- 39F right now outside which means in the living room right now it can't be much warmer than 65F, and our AC unit, which also has a heating element to it, set the fire alarm off. I know why (it's burnin' off all the dust and stuff that's built up), but I'm extremely paranoid and don't want to run it and risk it being MORE than just burning off dust... and I don't want to expose my EXOTIC ANIMALS to the smoke that emanates from it. If my bird still lived here you can bet your rear I DEFINITELY wouldn't be using it.

So it's either:

Oil Space heater (who I know MANY, MAAAANNY norhtern reptile owners use for their reptile rooms use) OR I go and get a heat bulb. I've always used heat bulbs in the past. It's a more direct heat source while, since the geckos are in the LIVING ROOM, I feel the heat of the space heater might be too spread out.

All my gecko tanks are right next to each other, so I'd literally just get a lamp, put a bulb in it, sit it atop my tank lights, and point it over the center between all the tanks. There is a pic of the shelving unit on my Instagram account that shows my 2 females, but not the two babies I know have, but they're just simply sitting in the middle between the two tanks.
    https://www.instagram.com/sovereignreptiles/

Thoughts? We're going out tomorrow to get things all done.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Oil space heaters are more pricey for the fuel, but they are safer in the long run than an electric one.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Yeah thats what ive heard, how theyre safer than other space heaters. And most nights im at work.. so i need to be able to leave something on without worrying whether or not itll set my home on fire hahaha
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

Thanks

Regarding your home's heating/cooling - I would get that looked into for sure, not just for your pet's sake but it should be in functional working order just as a household item for human health. If you rent your landlord should have this squared away ASAP.

Are you talking about an oil filled space heater (electric)? They would probably be one of the safest space heaters, but I would carefully research the model based on room size etc (DeLonghi brand is generally regarded as good), make sure you have new/solid wall outlets (security of plug to outlet is one of the biggest issues with fire hazard as it increases the resistance in the current, and can cause overheating), and have it run for a while supervised first while making sure the cord/outlet doesn't get hot and it is placed a distance from any combustible material due to the fire hazard potential of them. But they would provide a more uniform heat in a room for both you and the geckos.

If you went with one heat bulb to diffuse heat among three tanks, there would have to be a much larger heat gradient from the bulb to furthest tanks, leaving the middle tank likely significantly warmer and drier. I would either use one small heating element per tank (light/heat mat) with thermostats for each, or a space heater appropriate for your room size that is supervised as much as possible.

In the winter it can get down to the high 50's inside at night at my place, as I turn down central air to conserve electric bill. For the geckos, we have one that lives in my son's room (she is special, lol) and she has a heat mat set to 73F on the side that keeps her in a good gradient (~64-65 in coldest part of tank). The other geckos are all in another room, and this one we use a space heater with and it keeps the ambient temp between 68-71 or so when we have the central air down.

ETA: If I only had 3 geckos, I might go with heat pad for each (if they are in glass enclosures) or heat lamps with thermostats. But with a lot more geckos, a space heater would probably be better. Any time you are dealing with a heating element there is always a degree of risk, just try to mitigate that as much as possible by making sure your outlets/cords are in tip-top shape and use good products.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Yeah the apt. We rent in is shiiiit. The outlits are probably crap too. I honestly wouldnt be surprised. I cant wait till we move omg

I totally forgot about heat mats, but my two babies are in plastic kritter keepers so idk how that would go.

Target didnt have any oil filled space heatets. Ill have to check our walmart otherwis ei have no idea whete else to look.
    Id like to avoid using 4 bulbs with 4 seperate lamps and 4 stands... lol but it that ends up being my only option i dont really have a choice.
    Sovereign Reptiles

Thanks

Walmart will always have oil space heaters, mine is an uberhaus and it's amazing, best thing I've ever used.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

If you do get a space heater of any sort I recommend two things. Get one with a manual control setting. If the power goes out and comes back on, it can reset some of the digital ones to manufacturer settings and overheat a room. The other thing I recommend is a thermostat. This is the one I use and it's been very reliable. It retains settings after power outages. Just one more fail safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-C...mostat+plug+in

Thanks

Mine has a dial on it so you can decide on your temp based on the size of the room
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Thanks