Thread: Chinese Water Dragon

Thanks

Default Chinese Water Dragon

Hi all! So, I've been thinking about getting a Chinese Water Dragon. It'll be a couple years before I do since I am in the process of moving and I really want to get to know the species and have the custom cage built first and I still need to do A LOT more research, but I will have one some day!
    I have just a few questions for now.

1. Do they only come in green? I have heard missed answers.
    2. At what age/size can you tell the sex?
    3. Do males or females make better pets or are they the same? (I am wanting a male since they get larger, but I am also wanting the youngest I can get, so Ill be happy with which ever I end up with)
    4. How well do they co-habitation? and how many?
    5. Do/can they lay infertile eggs like rhacs do?
    6. Compared to Crested Gecko care, how easy are they to care for?
    7. What should the humidity cycles be?
    8. Are they at all similar to Iguanas?
    I have owned snakes, frogs, tad poles, iguanas, tarantulas, currently own cresties and turtles. and many more reptiles. Thanks in advance....

Kat.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

They do need pretty massive caves and don't cohab well. I've heard way too many stories of female CWD's getting g egg bound so I'd stick to a male to avoid all that cuffufle bus I've found males to tame down easier.
    I know they need pretty high humidity and really large water dishes (like a cat littler box filled with water) and I think their humidity cycle isnt really a cycle bit should be maintained around 80%, so a misting system would really help because of how big their cages need to be as well as a huge water dish and a soil substrate.
    If you do want to cohab I'd say 2 females in a 6ftx4ftx8ft (LxDxH) would do OK but I'm not 100% sure.
    I was also thinking of getting a juvie male when I move because I'll be getting a 3.5ftx1.5ftx3.5ft (LxDxH) cage soon, Or I'll put a green tree python in it lol.

This website by far has the best care sheets I've ever found, heres the one for CWD's http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Chin...r-Dragon-Care/
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Creature View Post
    They do need pretty massive caves and don't cohab well. I've heard way too many stories of female CWD's getting g egg bound so I'd stick to a male to avoid all that cuffufle bus I've found males to tame down easier.
    I know they need pretty high humidity and really large water dishes (like a cat littler box filled with water) and I think their humidity cycle isnt really a cycle bit should be maintained around 80%, so a misting system would really help because of how big their cages need to be as well as a huge water dish and a soil substrate.
    If you do want to cohab I'd say 2 females in a 6ftx4ftx8ft (LxDxH) would do OK but I'm not 100% sure.
    I was also thinking of getting a juvie male when I move because I'll be getting a 3.5ftx1.5ftx3.5ft (LxDxH) cage soon, Or I'll put a green tree python in it lol.

This website by far has the best care sheets I've ever found, heres the one for CWD's http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Chin...r-Dragon-Care/
    Thank you so much. At first I just want to have one.... But if they're anything like geckos, I know I'll get more lol. So I don't want to Cohan. I'll definitely check that care sheet out, thanks.

That's awesome! I've never had a GTP. But they are gorgeous. But, they are on the meaner side. I've never one time heard of a tame one lol. Goodluck.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

You're welcome! Glad I could help.
    Knowing me I'll probably end up having like 5 and dedicating an entire wall just to a massive divided cage for a bunch lol.
    I love GTP's and honestly wouldn't mind spending the time to tame one down, starting with a baby and raising it up, would be fun and I've heard people have success with it.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics