Thread: Dark room - will my cresties require a light source to see at night?

Thanks

Default Dark room - will my cresties require a light source to see at night?

So, this question hopefully isn't as stupid as it sounds - i'm aware that cresties are nocturnal animals, and as such have significantly better night vision than humans. I'm also aware that lights on during the night can disturb their day night cycle, which I don't want. However, i currently live in a relatively dark house, a long way from any street lamps, which also has blackout blinds on the only 2 small windows (attic room). I currently leave one window cracked open (so they get a proper dawn light sequence and know when its time to go to bed), but not so much as to risk the sun hitting the tanks full on, to make sure i don't accidentally cause too wild a temperature swing.

That said, the room is really, really dark at night. Practically no light sources, and even the small amount of external light at night is largely cut off due to the blackout blinds. The only light source at all in the room is a small red light on the space heater in front of their tanks (approx the size of a little fingernail, and not at all bright). Will they require more light to see properly, since the room blocks most of the external starlight and moonlight? And will the v.small constant red light from the space heater bother them? I could block it easily enough with some blu-tac and some card, but it really is very small, and may be their only light source.

Secondly, and related; they live in my room, and I'm something of a night owl. I mostly try to leave them on their own in the dark, but I tend to turn the bedroom lights on ~twice a night between when it gets dark around 5pm, and when I go to bed around 2am. Will this bother them terribly?

Thanks

i think they'll be fine. My living room is extremely dark at night where the geckos are and they're up and about without any issue.

I used to have my geckos in my bedroom and I too, was a night owl. It never seemed to bother them too much and in fact, once it was dark outside, they usually came out even though my bedroom light was on. I don't know how bright your room is, but mine had a really dim ceiling light so my room was usually a pretty sad yellow at night LOL, not too bright. If you're concerned that ur lights might be bothering them, you can use a towel to cover the tanks.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

006fix (11-04-2016)

Thanks

If I'm around in my room at night with the light on, I tend to use a towel / hoodie to provide a darkness gradient inside the tank, which seems to be appreciated by them. But ok, it sounds like they should be fine without additional light to see by, thank you

Thanks

You can provide a couple nightlights around the room to create some light but not enough to disturb them. Sometimes I'll go into my reptile room around 9pm to mist and change food and such and they'll all go about their business with the room light on and me fusing with their cages and misting and stuff. So a nightlight or 2 bear their cages shouldn't hurt and will allow you to see them move around at night.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics