Thread: Question about heating/lighting for hognose

Thanks

Question Question about heating/lighting for hognose

I have a 20L cage for my 30 gram hognose. On one side there's flexwatt regulated by a thermostat. On the other I have a 25-watt day bulb to bump the temps up a few degrees and provide a light cycle. The problem I'm having is that she never goes to the side that has the heat mat. I will catch her basking under the lamp at times, but 90% of the time she will crawl into the "cool" side snake hide. (Cool side is roughly 75 and warm side, under the substrate, is set to ~90.) Should I move the lamp to the warm side or the middle of the cage? Or is it okay where it is?

Thanks

That tank is a bit big for a 30 gram baby. Try downgrading him to a 10 gal with the light in the center and paper towel over the heat mat on the glass then aspen or whatever substrate you use, over top. I'm thinking when yur baby hurries himself that the glass is too hot to lay on so he stays over on the cold side. Putting paper towel down over the heat mat really helps because then they can lay right on the heat mat wit out possibly getting burned by laying directly on glass. Also the smallet tank and more hides/fake plants for cover will make him feel more secure coming out at exploring.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Well the thermostat probe is siliconed directly on the glass, so it shouldn't be burning the snake if it's controlled. The substrate itself is usually ~84. Also, downgrading cage size at this point would do more harm than good I think. She eats fine and explores the cage, she seems comfortable. I just wanted to know if the light placement mattered at all.

Thanks

Oh OK that's good, personally I put lights in the center of the lid because then it heats the cool side a bit and keep's the warm side warm and evenly lights the tank but if put anywhere I don't think it patters much unless your cold side is too cold then it keep the light over the cold side
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

I'd switch to a CHE so that you can raise the ambient temp day and night without disturbing the snake. If you have it in a room where it gets natural light, you don't have to worry about providing any extra. Make sure the hides on both sides are the same (snug) and that you provide lots of cover. My hognose liked to climb and I gave him branches and fake plants to hide in. They seem to be very timid snakes. You can also try covering 3 sides of the tank using shelf liner or construction paper / poster board. This may make him feel more secure.
    1.2 crested geckos 0.3 ball pythons 3.0 boa constrictors 1.0 jag carpet python, 1.0 western hognose, 0.2 Kenyan sand boas 1.0 cat