Thread: Dubia roach(and dermestid)larvae invadors?

Thanks

Default Dubia roach(and dermestid)larvae invadors?

Does anyone else have any idea what these are? They appeared after approximately a month with dubia feeders and a few dermastid cleaners and are so tiny I didn't notice them till I was cleaning the finely blended roach food and water crystals ! I want to take pictures but it can't seem to get how to post but the larva are tiny whitish yellow slightly darker heads and very lightly haired(almost invisible hairs actually) they are soooooooooo small most around 1/4 cm
    Last edited by Echoplexic; 10-23-2016 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Whoops touch screens hate me

Thanks

Dermestid larvae are incredibly tiny when born, and are worm like and covered in hairs. Maybe they are reproducing?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazzy08 For This Useful Post:

Echoplexic (10-25-2016)

Thanks

OK well ATM they are so tiny I can't even use a toothpick to transfer them because they are so small they can't climb up it and I accidentally killed one trying to move it

Thanks

I know the ones in my roach bins breed occasionally. The babies are soooo tiny. They'll eat the dead roaches and such as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Most the time they are harmless. People add these to their Dubia Roach colonies to eat the dead roaches and make their bins self-sufficient. In large number without other food sources they can eat your Roaches. Occasionally throw some out with the frass to keep their numbers down. They also fly when in temperatures around 80 degrees fahrenheit so be careful you don't open it on a warm day and get them all over your house. I personally used Buffalo Beetles. They are another Dubia Roach cleanup crew that works really well but cannot fly, remain very small, and cannot harm your roaches. A lot of people that have Dubia Roaches use these little guys. You can get those from this website dubiaroachwarehouse.com. You don't need a ton of them. They repopulate very fast! Some people try and sell you tons of them but honestly 20-50 of them will become a thousand in 6 months or so with perfect conditions. I throw thousands away every time I clean out my bins. They do a great job of cleaning up the bin and keeping it from stinking though. If you don't find a way to get rid of the dead you could end up with them rotting, molding, and ultimately bringing in flies which brings maggots or worst causing mold or fungus and this will kill off your entire colony. So you definitely want to find something to help you clean up your bin if you cant do it regularly.