Thread: Help starting a mealworm colony!

Thanks

Default Help starting a mealworm colony!

Hey everyone! So you all know I have my leopard gecko Osiris. Well lately meal worms have been getting quite pricey, 8$ for only 150 when it used to be only 5$ for 200! So I was thinking of starting a colony to cut back on the cost of having to buy them every couple weeks.

I have some larger mealies that were labeled as kingworms but are just large meal worms and a lot of them have been turning into pupae, I've separated them out of the deli cup into a medium kk with slightly damp paper towel and put them in the closet (cause it's dark) I'll be picking up some screen and a hot glue gun and oats this weekend.

Anything I should know? I'm a bit squeemish with beetles but they don't bug me too much. From what I've read I just siv out the oats into a separate container every couple weeks to separate the babies from the beetles or what? Was thinking to just have a paper towel bottom with a small container of oats for them to lay eggs in so I can just take it out every now and then to collect the babies. Feed them slices of carrots and apples. Thinking of setting it up kind of like you do for dubia roaches or crickets with the egg carton and such.
    Let me know what you guys do and the best way to do it! I'm really wanting to get more Leo's soon and maybe even a tokay gecko so I'll have more mouths to feed soon. Are the super tiny baby mealies OK to feed as a snack to baby cresteds? Or are the shells too hard as babies for babies/juvies?
    Thanks!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Mealworm colony: bed the worms in gut load (no egg carton or cricket/roach setup needed). Pick out the pupae and put them somewhere with no food. Check regularly and pick out all the beetles. Put them in a container with gut load. Eventually you'll get mealworms. Separate the mealworms from the beetles and put the beetles in fresh gut load. The beetles live a few weeks to a month after maturing. When you get your first round of beetles, it's likely that at some point it will seem as if they're all dying. Don't worry, it's just them all coming to the end of their lifespans at the same time.

Aliza

Thanks

Alright thank you!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics