Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooling down and Gravid gecko?

Thanks

Default Cooling down and Gravid gecko?

Hey guys, I have yet another question about cooling down/breeding, sorry this is my first year. Anyway, will my girlie that's Gravid BEFORE cool down and still AFTER cool down, still lay that set of eggs? She is really close. Her usual lay days are from 7th-9 of every month. Also, the last couple of days it's been 68 degrees where she is, so is that okay or will she not lay since it's cold? I will move her to a warmer room if it's necessary. I know the cool down is to STOP them from laying, but since she is sooooo close to laying, will she? Sorry again. TIA.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Cooling down is not like an on/off switch for egg production/laying, but more of a cue to tell the female's body that it is time to start ramping down egg production. I would not be overly worried about needing to keep her warm till she lays, but a gradual temp decrease rather than sudden would mimic natural cooling down more. She may lay, she may not if previous cues (like if exposed to changes in outside day/night cycle changes) have already signaled that she should be done. If she is still gravid right now with eggs coming, it can be normal for her to take longer to lay a clutch if at that point in her cycle when you start cooling.

Just keep an eye on her, give her gradual temp and light changes, and she should be fine
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Sorry double post, my computer is being sssssllllooooooowwwww
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    Cooling down is not like an on/off switch for egg production/laying, but more of a cue to tell the female's body that it is time to start ramping down egg production. I would not be overly worried about needing to keep her warm till she lays, but a gradual temp decrease rather than sudden would mimic natural cooling down more. She may lay, she may not if previous cues (like if exposed to changes in outside day/night cycle changes) have already signaled that she should be done. If she is still gravid right now with eggs coming, it can be normal for her to take longer to lay a clutch if at that point in her cycle when you start cooling.

Just keep an eye on her, give her gradual temp and light changes, and she should be fine
    The light/dark is roughly 12 hours day/12 hours night, so it's the same. The temp went from 75-78 degrees to 72-75 degrees then the last two days or so have been 68-70, but right now (I find this funny) it's 73ish degrees, as it was a warmer day today.... That makes sense about it may take longer now then usual. Thank you so much Sasha!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Because I'm in Canada, I just keep my oil space heater on the same temp and let the cold air cool the window down which gradually cools my room, then I have to turn up my heater because it gets too cold lol. Also the window helps to give them a natural day/night yearly cycle where the light slowly goes from 16 hours of day(since we're up north) to 16 hours of night over a 4 month period, so I don't have to deal with any lights lol. It started to drop in temperature eight after both my girls last clutch in august and then they stopped making eggs, so they're done for the season (thankfully, cause I need a break from all these babes too lol)
    I've warmed up my room again to around 73 ish with it dropping to around 69-70 each night just so my geckos stay more active so they can keep putting on weight because a couple of my geckos definitely need the extra weight.
    Anyway, start changing the light cycle to having more night than day, that's another good indicator to tell her it's time to slow down/stop laying eggs.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

it was a very hectic last couple of days. we had a very cold day and the temp dropped to 63ish degrees. I moved the ten and twenty gallon tanks into a room with a space heater and leveled out the heat. the other tank that my last cresty is in is a lot bigger, with a stand and they are both heavy. so, by the time I cleared a spot in that spare room for that tank and by the time I got ready to move that tank, the temp outside was warmer so that made the temp in the house warmer so that made the temp in the last tank warmer and it reached 73ish degrees. plus, I had to move my eggs into another room. but now I got it all settled and my heat is finally working for the original room, hew! sorry for the rambling. and good news.... Lovely is awake sooner then normal and active so I might get some eggies! she is always awake and active nearly ALL DAY when she is going to lay.

tl;dr- my temps dropped way low, but I got it figured out now.

I got one more question for you guys (for now anyway hehe), my eggs are a temp of about 75* and when the temp dropped it went down to about 68* for about 5 hours and then back to 73*, now I know that there is nothing that I can do exempt hope for the best, but is that a dangerous drop?
    so sorry for soooo many questions! I really am. I try to google and before I do ask. I did only have my kids only a couple of months before they laid eggs, so I am still learning.
    I think I got a hang of everything else. this is my very first winter with them! I am so scared.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

68 is fine for eggies to be at, in fact some people incubate around there to 70. Heat spikes are much more dangerous, I would not be worried!
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    68 is fine for eggies to be at, in fact some people incubate around there to 70. Heat spikes are much more dangerous, I would not be worried!
    I know people incubate at 68, but I was just worried since they used to the higher temp. but thank you. Sasha youre a huge help.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

so no eggs from Lovely yet, but she is FINALLY checking out her lay box! and she is super feisty tonight. eak hopefully shell lay them tonight!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

she still has not laid them. she only dug in her box that one night and not any after. the temp goes back and fourth between 72-75, but mostly staying at 72. even if she isnt egg bound (which she is showing no signs of) is it dangerous for her to be gravid for nearly 3 weeks AFTER due date? and, should I start the cool down process while she is still gravid, and having no clue when shell lay them or could it cause egg bound? I dont have a reptile vet near me at all.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS