Thread: What to put in a 55 gal?

Thanks

Question What to put in a 55 gal?

Hey all! So my mom found me a nice 55 gallon aquarium and I don't know what to put in it, I want something to make a nice display, I'm not sure if there's a lid or not so I'm going for species that can't climb out.
    I'm thinking a blue tongue skink or beardie but maybe something a bit different or less common but has intermediate/slightly expert care requirements. Hopefully, somewhat cheap food so I can stock up. Any suggestions? I'm really wanting a blue tongue skink but have nowhere to got one lol.
    Dimensions are 48x12x18 (or21) inches (LxWxH)
    Any suggestions? Maybe a basalisk? (I absolutley love basalisks though they need really tall cages)
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

A basilisk wouldn't be suitable for that type of tank, it's not tall enough for any arboreal lizards of that size especially with potentially no lid. For me the size would be too cramped for a beardy or BTS, due to the tank not being that wide.

Personally I would look at small agamids, skinks and terrestrial geckos. Wonder geckos, fire skinks etc would do well in a tank that size and it would allow you to have deep substrate for digging
    Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Thanks

Alright, I thought it would be a bit cramped width wise. Would 2 or 3 female fire skinks do good in that size tank if setup well? If it doesn't have a lid I can make one or get one easily but I think it might.
    I do really like the look of fire skinks, I love the bright color and medium size.
    Sam

Thanks

Maybe axolotls if you'd be interested in something aquatic? You could probably house three to five in a tank that size. You would however, have to be sure they're of compatible sex and size. I hear juveniles can be canniballistic so you'd likely have to get adults.

I second fire skinks, they're wonderful creatures and they'd likely do well in that size. Maybe a red ackie?

Another aquatic suggestion would be a red-eared slider, though we both know how pricey turtles can be here.

Melissa
    0.1.0 F.catus (kitty kat) - Wanda
    1.0.1 C.ciliatus - Poe, Wicket
    1.1.0 B.orientalis - Morgoth, Malgus (Morgy and Malgy)

Thanks

I love Axolotls but I'm not too interested in aquatics right now. I love red ackies but they need some pricey lighting, i know halogen flood lights are good for the basking spot but they need lots of UV lights which can get pricey and I like the idea of having a small colony of fire skinks. I'll look more into prices but I think I've got it narrowed down now to either red ackies or fire skinks. I'll be doing lots more research this week of both species and I'll see which one would be best. Thanks for the suggestions!!
    Sam

Thanks

Again I wouldn't go for an ackie due to their size. They also require quite high basking temperatures which would be difficult to achieve in your size tank.
    Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Thanks

Yeah agreed, they say minimum 50 gallons for a red ackie and I'd want to give them lots more space then that lol
    Sam

Thanks

I was going to suggest maybe a painted turtle, but you dont want an aquatic. (red eared slider would be to big for that size tank, wpt are much smaller.) maybe a three toed box turtle? what about another snake? also maybe frog(s)?
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

A painted turtle would be awesome.
    Unfortunately my mom misinformed me, she had only found the tank on kijiji and apperintley they sold it to someone before I could get it really upset about that. I guess I'll have to wait till another one comes onto kijiji then I'll snatch it, possibly save up a bit and get one with a good lid. Then maybe I can get a snake or something for it.
    A friend of hers has a pretty big tank, I think 60 gallons, maybe I should check to see if he still has it lol
    Sam