Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another bad petco thread.

Thanks

Default another bad petco thread.

I was in a different part f town today and of course, I had to run into PetCo and check out the kids while my mom was in another store. here is what I saw...
    (will get pics up soon)
    1.) 13 leopard geckos in a roughly 5 gallon tank... maybe more leos, but that is all I could see without searching for them.
    2.) 7 corn snakes in one roughly 5 gallon tank. the weight of a baby but as long as an adult. also, there was crickets in this tank...
    3.) 4 or so ball python in a roughly 5 gallon tank. not one hide.
    4.) 1 Brazilian rainbow boa.. only one? that isn't so bad... but this poor thing had dirty water, stuck skin and was almost dead. I though it was dead, but it did move a tad. its eyes were popped out more then normal and it was DRY.
    5.) 2 baby yellow belly slider turtles. I mean, that is okay. but, one had a huge 'gash' on top of his neck.
    6.) 3 bearded dragons in a roughly 5 gallon tank. now, I don't know how many can be kept together, but that is one small cage for 3.

My mom called me and told me she is in the car waiting. I went out and told her everything and we both went in (we had my little bro with us too) and talked to the store manager. Apparently, (#1) was the set max amount for these said a reptile vet.
    apparently, (#2) that was also the set max amount for these from a reptile vet. and he said they were a couple months old. no way they were younger then 6 months.
    Apparently, (#3) also was the set max amount also from a reptile vet. also under weight.
    apparently, (#4) he kinda ignored us about this guy.
    apparently, (#5) this gash is skin tissue. that is what the vet said. no way possible this is skin tissue. it was a fresh open pink/red gash. he looked at it, and didn't know what to say... "the vet looks at al these animals" is what he kept saying.
    (#6) was the same answer as the others..

we asked for the number of his boss, hich he gave to us without hesitation. we then asked where the that looked at these animals was located... California. "they came all the way out here to look at the aniamls?" we asked. "no.... we have a normal vet here in town and a exotic vet **** that looks at them". he said. we then asked for the number that looked at them, again. he refused to give it out. we said "because you didn't actually take them in to see the vet".. .. her didn't say that was true, but never denied it either. we took clear pics and called the humane society (animal cruelty hoyline)....
    Last edited by Lovelyanddekstest; 10-01-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Unfortunately reptiles are not covered under the Animal Welfare Act, which completely sucks so I am not sure how much the humane society can help. I would definitely contact further management, and most especially the regional manager for that particular Petco and provide documentation on this (did you take photos?), including the name of the employee that you spoke with. Hopefully at least they can be badgered enough by their regional if you complain enough to make some changes.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    Unfortunately reptiles are not covered under the Animal Welfare Act, which completely sucks so I am not sure how much the humane society can help. I would definitely contact further management, and most especially the regional manager for that particular Petco and provide documentation on this (did you take photos?), including the name of the employee that you spoke with. Hopefully at least they can be badgered enough by their regional if you complain enough to make some changes.
    I didn't think they were, but the person we talked to said they will definitely look into it. but I think youre right.
    on Monday, we are going to talk to the regional manager and some other people. we did take pictures. and we also know the name of the employee (no pic of the name tag though). I am *wanting* to get a thing going where *I* hire people around the world to go into petstores and complain if the store is neglecting the animals. (I know there is stuff lie this already.) and then maybe we can get all of the *bad* petsores shut down.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

My pet store (petland) had 7, 6 month old leos in probably a 10 gallon tank with one small water dish, 2 small hides and 1 small cap of calcium, they all had thick tails and the cage was clean but they were fairly new, all hatched in march. Anyway, they were all normals and a couples males and females and then there was my girl that I bough, had a regrow tail already at only 6 months old and bite marks on her head and neck, I had to adopt her so i did, when the pet person opened up onw of the hides, there were 5 geckos all crammed ontop of eachother, poor things. My friend who works there says they are all eating melies regularly but my girl has only eaten one so far which worries me.
    They had 1 male and 2 female cresteds in a 30 gallon tank and all the geckos were maybe 12-16 grams and those girls didn't look too happy, one of them was definitely gravid, they had one tiny cap of zoomed CGD in there... I got some pictures of the geckos
    Name:  20160919_172811.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  20160919_172813.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  96.8 KB
    Name:  20160919_172806.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  103.1 KB
    Anyway, that's my little rant on my petstore, it sucks.

I'm so glad that you're calling the manager and such, maybe petco will clean up their act (unlikley)
    There's a YouTube who's videos are dedicated to him going dumpster diving in petco dumpsters, he's rescued leopard geckos and iguanas and all sorts of animals put in tiny bags and thrown in the trash from petco dumpsters, he's also gotten a lot of good tanks and terrariums that only had a couple cracks in them from the dumpster. Honestly I'd recommend taking a look around that petco's dumpster, I wouldn't be suprised if you found a rep or 2.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Here are the photos. The cricket with corn snake : hard to see it.. Look at the top right corner and right under the leaf.

The turtle neck:

Leo's:

Poor boa:

Corn snakes just a few:

Ball pythons:
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

horrible. they need to stick with supplies only.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenTroi View Post
    horrible. they need to stick with supplies only.
    Agreed.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

That brb looks dead! And those poor leos and turtle, that's also a gorgeous chapagne looking ball python, I'd buy that guy in a second.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Creature View Post
    That brb looks dead! And those poor leos and turtle, that's also a gorgeous chapagne looking ball python, I'd buy that guy in a second.
    ^This. Despicable. Please send those pics to higher up, CCing the Humane Society and any other reptile/animal groups, etc you can add so they can't ignore you that easily.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Creature View Post
    that ball python this not a champagne. but, I wanted to buy them all!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS