Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "CUDDLING"

Thanks

Default "CUDDLING"

I have an adult male and adult female my female weighs about 60 grams. My male weighs about 37 grams. I had my male first he's been thriving. I just recently purchased the female 2 days ago and i introduced them into a brand new enclosure to both of them.
    At first they noticed each other , and just stared at each other , really nothing much from there. I left came back and they were on opposite sides of the enclosure in my male was super dark and my female was later. (Usually my male is very light and the female has dark features). They stayed apart the rest of the day until night and then at night she was all over the place he'd follow her she would jump away in that game continued all night. Until my male found one of the food dishes I have two in there. The female seen my male eating and try to go over there but the male snipped at her and she went and had the rest of the night. After that it looked like they went to sleep on different areas of the enclosure. Then last night there was a lot less activity the female seems timid has the male just stares at her. My male is eating and drinking normally, she wants nothing to do with eating or drinking. I weighed them and going to keep a close eye on the weight.
    When I woke up this morning my male is laying on top of my female with his head on top of her they both are sleeping and seem calm. I've been reading that this is a very bad sign. I have a 20 gallon tank with plenty of places for them to hide and Escape. So I am not sure what to do now? Should I separate them its only been 2 days? Can my male be intimidating the much larger female? (She is still very light colored and he is still darker then her) Should I leave them for a little longer to see what happens? I don't see any signs of fighting any marks or any of the other discussed signs of when they are fighting. Somebody please help me the last thing I want is stressed out geckos I want them to be happy .. here is a video from this morning. Sorry for the morning glare
    https://youtu.be/O7pBM3hbycQ

Thanks

Separate them ASAP. She is way to large for a male that's just less than half her weight. If one is sleeping on the other its a show of dominance, much like dogs mounting eachother. 20 gallons is much too small for 2 cresteds, 30 gallons minimum for 2.
    Having 2 geckos together will cause nothing but stress and having them apart will be in your best interest. If you're intentions are to breed then separate them anyway, a male only needs to be with a female for 1-3 nights and that female will produce eggs non-stop for months unless you change her photoperiod to 14-16 hours of night and 8-10 hours of day and cool the temperature to 68-70. Keeping it like this for a few months (recommended 3 minimum, I personally do 5) will allow the female to stop laying and for her body to rest and calcium/fat storage to replenish before she starts pumping out eggs for another season. Often times when you warm up a female after her cooling for the winter she will use leftover sperms from last season to produce more babies before another male is introduced.

Enough if my rambling. I'd separate them, the long their together, the more stressed they will get, especially the female as the male will constantly breed her. Your female is fine for the rest of the season without a male, she will keep making eggs without a male around. On the rare occasion a pair will bond but it is very rare. Plus keeping them together for too long will result in one gecko not eating or becoming injured due to fights. Even if you have 2 food stations. It's best if they're separate with their own space and food
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (08-25-2016)

Thanks

I also would have kept them separated for a few months just to be sure that your male doesn't get any possible parasites that the female may have been carrying. It's called quarantine and is a good practice to follow.
    I would second the separation of the two. That is a very large difference in size. If the male is interested in breeding but the female is not, she could put a very serious beat down on him. She's large enough that it could be life threatening if she decided to pick a fight.
    Kelly @ OUROBOROS EXOTICS
    Currently working with Gargoyle geckos, Crested geckos, Leachianus geckos,
    E. Agricolae and E. Vieilliardi
    Facebook.com/OuroborosGeckos
    ouroborosexotics.wix.com/geckos

Thanks

As it looks like there are two threads with the same questions, just wanted to put the link here, as OP gave a response in that thread. Might be useful if mods could merge the threads?

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-look-stressed
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFu For This Useful Post:

Yoshi'smom (08-26-2016)

Thanks

Again. U guys are getting caught up in the quarantine stage. SHE WAS QUARANTINED!!!!!!!! I wasnt looking for a book answer. I am looking for experience answers. Did u guys read my post? So noone ever put 2 ADULTS together with now a 18g difference? He weighs 40 grams now. Hes plenty big to mount her.. The male seems to be the aggressor. Hes laying on her , he is not intimidated by her at all. Hes eating , drinking and pooping fine. So before u give me another lecture from a book save it.. I am simple asking anyone that has experience in similar situations.

Thanks

We're not trying to be mean or rude in any way (at least I wasn't). I was not aware that there was another thread that listed the specifics of quarantine that you had. It may have been easier to keep to one thread in that case.
    I still would not have paired the two until they were within 5 grams of each other. If things had gone wrong, the size difference could have been a death sentence. Just giving my input.
    As far as the "snuggling" it's more than likely your male asserting his dominance. This is their way of showing the other who has the top spot.
    I wouldn't recommend keeping them together for very long either. My males only get one night with the ladies for a season of reproduction. If I have a suspicion that they didn't get the job done, I'll give him another night in with the female.

Thanks

Thank you very much . That was VERY helpfull. Thats exactly what i was asking. And some helpful advice on similar situations. It still looked like they were playing the cat and mouse games. And my male is smaller so i thought he might have been timid. But then he is the 1 showing dominance from what i can see. I seperated them this morning so they had 3 nights together. They wernt sleeping togetger this morning but my male was still giving that death stare at her. I just wanted them to mate . Thanx again for your help. Hopefully get some eggs in about a month..

If they didnt mate. How long should i wait to try again?

Thanks

And also. U say within 5 grams. Do male geckos get to be 55 grams? Everythibg i read 40ish is the average full grown male size

Thanks

If the female was a virgin this season, it may take up to 2 months before you see any eggs and they may not be fertile. Females can have a wonky first season.
    If you don't see any by the end of 2 months, I'd say he didn't get the job done while they were together.
    I would not put them back together this year though as in about a month, the end of the breeding season will be here.
    It's almost time to cool my females and start thinking about pairs for next year.
    This could also be the reason he didn't get the job done (if he in fact doesn't). It's late in the breeding season and so he may not be 100% interested in breeding.
    You could then try again next year at the end of February or early March. That's when breeding season starts and my males are more than willing to get the job done. Most of my males get it done within 5 mins. They're quick to do the deed. In fact, none of my females (cresties) stayed in with my males this year (first week of March) for more than 10 mins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helpacrestieout View Post
    And also. U say within 5 grams. Do male geckos get to be 55 grams? Everythibg i read 40ish is the average full grown male size
    My largest male is 54 grams during winter and then usually drops a bit of weight during the breeding season but gains it back.
    Boys can be too focused on wanting to breed early on in the season and refuse food for a bit.