Thread: Rest in peace little Moris.

Thanks

Default Rest in peace little Moris.

today, I was upgrading my praying mantis Moris cage, I seen that he was barely moving. I had a flightless fly that I gave to him earlier that day, that is was still uneaten. I place Moris and the fly on a paper towel and helped him eat, but he refused. He wouldnt even look at the food. And knowing my boy, he ate like a pig. Yesterday, he was fine. Ate fine and active and all. I have no clue what happened and I am very sad and pissed. how did I let this happen? he was my little Moel. I took him outside to see if maybe some fresh air would help, but no. I left him put there on a bush so he could die peacefully outside in the wind and free. Rest in peace Moris, I already miss you terribly!!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Oh no, not Moris! I'm so sorry

Is he the one that had a kinked abdomen? Have you ever fed crickets? Did you notice anything unusual about his body or in his cage (any black liquid in the enclosure)?

These little guys have a short life, and sometimes things can unexpectedly take them from us even sooner. At least he was well loved and cared for and made it to happy adulthood with you. RIP little Moris, may he live in the land of endless flies and honey...
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    Oh no, not Moris! I'm so sorry

Is he the one that had a kinked abdomen? Have you ever fed crickets? Did you notice anything unusual about his body or in his cage (any black liquid in the enclosure)?

These little guys have a short life, and sometimes things can unexpectedly take them from us even sooner. At least he was well loved and cared for and made it to happy adulthood with you. RIP little Moris, may he live in the land of endless flies and honey...
    Yes, he is the one with the kinked abdomen. I have fed crickets. They were actually his last meal. No liquids.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Many people with mantids stay away from crickets as there have been cases of viruses transmitted between them (as they are both insects, this would not apply to cresties!) causing illness and death. Though these types of deaths are lower now since the original outbreak, another danger with crickets is the abundance of harmful bacteria that can accumulate in a unsanitary petstore environment. It is usually recommended that if one uses crickets, to maintain them in a clean enclosure and gutload with healthy foods for several days to "purge" any overload of bacteria before feeding to mantids.

Now, that may not be the likely cause of death, as (especially the virus) is associated with the mantis vomiting black liquid before dying. However, it may be something to keep in mind for your other mantis, and if you can switch to only flies or dubia instead this would be preferred (as crickets generally don't have the best nutrition profile anyway). I have a feeling Moris' passing is more related to his kinked abdomen, which some can live a full life with while others can have it lead to an obstruction and death. Unfortunately even with the best prevention with climbing surfaces, kinked abdomens still happen, especially more in certain species like T. sinensis
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Well, I have had the crickets for over a month. Thank you.