Thread: Chahoua Personality?

Thanks

Default Chahoua Personality?

Hi guys,

I am a crestie caretaker, a lovely wee red called Thio.

I have been looking at expanding my gecko family and was considering a Gargoyle, but then also came across Chahouas- my question, probably asked a thousand times is this-

Which should I go for??? I'm looking for a tame(ish) gecko with lots of personality and is maybe a little less flighty than my Thio.

Im looking for personal anecdotes and some sound advice.

Thank you

Thanks

I'd say gargoyle, their much less jumpy than most cresteds with very similar care. Also gargoyle geckos are quite a bit cheaper than most chahouas lol
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Chahoua prices have been soaring, but I prefer them over gargoyles for personality.

Thanks

Gargoyles are definitely less of an investment. I have all 3 and my gargoyle is less jumpy than my crestie, but not as personable (she's more aloof). I have 2 chahoua, a baby and a juvenile, so I can't say I have much experience with adults. They're both good choices, but a nice garg will run anywhere from $100-250. ML chahouas (babies) average around $300, while PI tend to be a bit higher due to demand and size (around $400-600). So that's something to consider You really can't go wrong with either.

Thanks

I never had a gargoyle, but I have a 10 month old Pine Isle chahoua named Urmel and I love him a lot.

I chose a PI chewie because I wanted a BIG gecko with a good temperament. I would say Urmel is somewhat calmer than my cresties, but if he feels like 'being a gecko' he can also run away faster than them. He definitely has his moods. Some evenings he comes to the front of the tank, either begging for food or wanting to come out, some other evenings he would rather be left alone. He has never been aggressive until now. He once bit me in the finger, but it was not a bad bite and I think he was very hungry (that was when I tried to be tough on him to get him to eat gecko diet and not just insects).
    I hope he stays as sweet-natured as he is when he gets older. I sometimes read chahouas can undergo a 'personality change' around 2 years of age, but I sometimes read similar stories about cresties, so I just hope that with regular gentle handling he will continue to trust me. I also feed him his insects outside of his tank, so that he learns that being taken out is usually a good thing.

I would agree he is a little more personable than my cresties, and seems more interested in what is going on outside his tank. On the other hand, he also really likes to poop on me (which my cresties rarely do)
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I will either go for a Gargoyle or another Crestie for the time being. I really love my Crestie, Thios personality and character. A Chewie sounds like a bit of a bigger undertaking for me, I consider myself a beginner.
    Besides, I'm in no rush. I'm waiting until I see the right gecko, just like I did when I was looking for Thio

Thanks

Do you have pictures of Thio?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BowieMonster View Post
    Do you have pictures of Thio?
    Yeah sure, though I need to take some fresh ones! There's a few of him/her on my Instagram feed

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIdeM16h69T/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIvWBzNBj3S/

Thanks

I ended up choosing a baby Gargoyle, who I called Poe- his/her picture is on there too There's also a video of Thio being handled. I think Thio is a female, but can't be sure yet!

Thanks

I had a PI Chahoua a couple years ago. He was really cool. Super active and mostly ok with being handled. One of my favorite ones about him was the way he would stalk crickets. They are very passionate hunters and can become very tame.
    Aum