Thread: praying mantis questions..

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default praying mantis questions..

So, I have had my praying mantis since June 20th. (15 days). He has not molted at all... Unless they eat the molt? Do they get more colors or change their colors as they get older? When I first got him, he was all green, now he is green and down the bottom half side is brown and his under belly is yellow while the rest is green... Is this normal? He has a few sticks where he can hand upside down to molt that is about four times as long as him. When I first got him he was 2 inches, and now he is 2 inches. I have read that they molt every week... Is this true?
    Thanks!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Molts happen roughly every two weeks, but time between them can increase with later instars. They do not eat it, you will find it either still hanging or dropped to the floor. Color changes are quite common with mantids and even within the same species you will not necessarily end up with individuals of the same color even as adults. Shades of brown to green are most common, but depending on the species there may be other colors.

For a molting surface, sticks may not be enough to ensure a secure and safe molt, especially if they are skinny and smooth sticks. If you can hotglue a wide and flat grippy surface (organza, pool noodle slices, other mesh depending on current size of mantid) to the underside of the lid that would be ideal. Pics of the enclosure from the side with him in it would be helpful.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    So, I have had my praying mantis since June 20th. (15 days). He has not molted at all... Unless they eat the molt? Do they get more colors or change their colors as they get older? When I first got him, he was all green, now he is green and down the bottom half side is brown and his under belly is yellow while the rest is green... Is this normal? He has a few sticks where he can hand upside down to molt that is about four times as long as him. When I first got him he was 2 inches, and now he is 2 inches. I have read that they molt every week... Is this true?
    Thanks!
    What kind of mantis do you have? I could give you a better idea what to expect knowing which kind. As CrestieFu said color changes are very common. These are usually determined by environmental conditions such as humidity levels. They can change very drastically from molt to molt as well. Considering he's already 2 inches long, you may have more than 2 weeks between your molts. There are some that take months to do their last one! Again, as CrestieFu said, hotglue mesh like items for the mantis to grip to, or you can purchase a container that's opening supports cloth/mesh lids. There are tons on the market in all shapes and sizes.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Ball Python
    0.1.0 Asian Forest Scorpion
    1.4.0 Mantids